Statics Question: Finding resultant force and orientation

In summary, the conversation discusses determining the magnitude and direction of the resultant force FR, with given values for F1 and F2. The magnitude is found to be 402lb and the direction is being calculated using the given work. However, there is confusion on how to find the correct angle and it is suggested to find the components and add them to determine the resultant.
Chandasouk
Hibbler.ch2.p1.jpg

Determine the magnitude of the resultant force FR. Assume that F1 = 230 and F2 = 395
Express your answer to three significant figures and include the appropriate units.

Determine the direction of the resultant force FR , measured counterclockwise from the positive x axis.

I got the magnitude as 402lb which is correct, but I am having trouble finding the direction of the force.

I have the following work below

http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/1954/resultantforce.png

So I get [itex]\phi[/itex]=71.6 degrees

Now the first quadrant has an angle from F1 to the x-axis that measures at 60 degrees. What I did was 71.6-60 degrees = 11.6 degrees and said that was the angle of the resultant force, but this answer is wrong.

Can anyone explain how to find the angle? Should I be subtracting 360 from 11.6 degrees instead since it wants the position counterclockwise?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Why don't you find the components of F1 and F2 and add them to determine the resultant?

1. What is statics?

Statics is a branch of mechanics that deals with the study of objects at rest or in constant motion, without any acceleration.

2. How do you find the resultant force in statics?

The resultant force in statics can be found by using vector addition. This involves breaking down all the individual forces acting on an object into their components and then adding them together to find the net force acting on the object.

3. What is the orientation of a force?

The orientation of a force is the direction in which the force is applied. In statics, the orientation of a force is commonly described using angles or trigonometric functions.

4. How do you determine the equilibrium of a system in statics?

In order for a system to be in equilibrium, the sum of all the forces acting on the system must be equal to zero and the sum of all the torques (rotational forces) must also be equal to zero.

5. What are some real-world applications of statics?

Statics is used in many fields, including engineering, architecture, and physics. Some applications of statics include designing stable structures, analyzing the forces on bridges and buildings, and determining the stability of objects such as cranes or scaffolding.