Formula? Simple just a check of my answer.

by andrewkg
Tags: check, formula, simple
andrewkg
Feb28-13, 10:37 PM
P: 86
Q.
Consider the exponential function Q=r*s^t. Letting q= ln(Q), show that q is a linear function of t by writing it in the form q=b+mt. State the values of b and m.

Ans.

q=(q0-(ln(r*S^t1)-ln(r*s^t2)*t0))-(ln(r*S^t1)-ln(r*s^t2)T0)*t

Im pretty sure its right my main question is about the subscripts.
Phys.Org News Partner Mathematics news on Phys.org
Math modeling handbook now available
Hyperbolic homogeneous polynomials, oh my!
Researchers help Boston Marathon organizers plan for 2014 race
pwsnafu
Feb28-13, 11:00 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 779
Quote Quote by andrewkg View Post
Q.
Consider the exponential function Q=r*s^t. Letting q= ln(Q), show that q is a linear function of t by writing it in the form q=b+mt. State the values of b and m.

Ans.

q=(q0-(ln(r*S^t1)-ln(r*s^t2)*t0))-(ln(r*S^t1)-ln(r*s^t2)T0)*t

Im pretty sure its right my main question is about the subscripts.
Wait where did all those subscripts come from. They aren't in the original question.
andrewkg
Feb28-13, 11:08 PM
Well they aren't used in the original question, but when i looked at the value of m (ln(r*s^t)-ln(r*s^t))/t-t) and that would come up with a 0 in the denominator which is undefined plus the value of m is not 0. So i used the subscripts to show a variation in the value of t so that one could reach an actual value of m. is there another way to do this?

Mute
Feb28-13, 11:54 PM
HW Helper
P: 1,391

Formula? Simple just a check of my answer.

Well they aren't used in the original question, but when i looked at the value of m (ln(r*s^t)-ln(r*s^t))/t-t) and that would come up with a 0 in the denominator which is undefined plus the value of m is not 0. So i used the subscripts to show a variation in the value of t so that one could reach an actual value of m. is there another way to do this?
Have you tried taking the logarithm of both sides of your original equation, Q = r st? The left hand side is just q = lnQ, but what about the right hand side? (Hint: use the rules of logarithms).
andrewkg
Mar1-13, 12:04 AM
well the right is just ln(r*s^t). I have that in the formula, but i thought it would be good or necessary to specify the value of q and t. Is using subscripts wrong.
pwsnafu
Mar1-13, 12:10 AM
Sci Advisor
well the right is just ln(r*s^t). I have that in the formula, but i thought it would be good or necessary to specify the value of q and t. Is using subscripts wrong.
The point of the question is whether you understand your log laws.
andrewkg
Mar1-13, 12:17 AM
well I know the log laws i even reviewed them. but is the answer wrong or ?
andrewkg
Mar1-13, 12:17 AM
because i tested the formula and it worked soo... Im just a bit confused about what do do from here
pwsnafu
Mar1-13, 12:52 AM
Sci Advisor
well I know the log laws i even reviewed them.
I said it is to test whether you understand your log laws. You seem to be just going by rote.
On top of that, you don't seem to be understanding what the question is asking.

but is the answer wrong or ?
It's wrong. You are over-complicating the question. Start again and think about what we told you.

Another Hint: This is the source of your problem:
Well they aren't used in the original question, but when i looked at the value of m (ln(r*s^t)-ln(r*s^t))/t-t) and that would come up with a 0 in the denominator which is undefined plus the value of m is not 0.
andrewkg
Mar1-13, 01:35 AM
Oh I see. q=lnr*s^t. so q=t*(lnr*s) so m=ln r*t and b=0. Thanks a ton pwsnafu, i tend to make questions a lot more difficult than need be and it really helps to have someone point it out a few times.
andrewkg
Mar1-13, 01:42 AM
wait nvm the answer is q= t*ln(s)+ln(r) now its right

Register to reply