Meaning of terms in SU(3) gauge transformation

by neorich
Tags: gauge, gauge transformation, meaning, strong, su(3), terms, transformation
neorich
Nov25-13, 04:36 AM
P: 21
Hi All,

I'm working through the theory of the strong interaction and I roughly follow it. However I have some questions about the meaning of the terms.

The book I use gives the gauge transformation as: [itex]\psi \rightarrow e^{i \lambda . a(x)} \psi[/itex]

First question ... What are the [itex]a(x)[/itex] terms. My book tells me they are real numbers, but that begs two further questions ... if they are real numbers, then what do they represent? And if they are real numbers then the product [itex]\lambda.a(x)[/itex] is a matrix since the [itex]\lambda[/itex]s are matrices, so we have the exponential function raised to the power of a matrix? What does this mean?

Thank for any help provided

Regards

neorich
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Physicists consider implications of recent revelations about the universe's first light
Vacuum ultraviolet lamp of the future created in Japan
Grasp of SQUIDs dynamics facilitates eavesdropping
bapowell
Nov25-13, 06:54 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 1,565
Try this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matrix_exponential

Register to reply