Chloride test question (Mohr's method)

In summary, the conversation revolved around a chemistry experiment involving potassium chromate and silver nitrate. The person bought 35g of potassium chromate and 5g of silver nitrate, but the latter was only enough for one test. The question of what to do with the leftover silver was raised, and it was mentioned that it could potentially be recycled but not with 100% efficiency. However, it was also noted that recycling may be costly and difficult for someone without a lab or experience. Another suggestion was given to mix the silver with NaCl and water to create a paste that could deposit silver onto objects when rubbed with it. The importance of following regulations and safety measures when dealing with hazardous materials was also emphasized.
skyshrimp
I'm going to try my first chemistry experiment.

http://www.chemteach.ac.nz/investigations/documents/chloride_mohr.pdf

I bought 35g of potassium chromate and 5g of silver nitrate.

5g of silver nitrate is only enough for one test. What should I do with the silver afterwards? Is it possible to turn it back into 5g of silver nitrate to redo the test again?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
skyshrimp said:
What should I do with the silver afterwards?

Depends on the local regulations considering hazardous materials. In general, you should check what they are before trying any experiments.

Is it possible to turn it back into 5g of silver nitrate to redo the test again?

Yes and no. Yes, there are ways of recycling silver from the waste. No, you will never get exactly 100% back.

Question is if you can afford recycling - for small samples, with non-existing lab and zero experience, it will be much more costly than the recovered silver (if you will recover anything at all).

You could mix the silver chloride with about an equal amount of NaCl and grind it, adding little water until you get a fine paste. When you rub some copper object with it, you will depose a shiny sheet of silver on it.

What is the purpose of the Chloride test using Mohr's method?

The Chloride test using Mohr's method is used to determine the chloride ion concentration in a given sample. This is important in various industries such as water treatment, food production, and pharmaceuticals.

What materials are needed for the Chloride test using Mohr's method?

The materials needed include a sample of the solution to be tested, silver nitrate solution, potassium chromate indicator, and a burette for measuring the volume of silver nitrate used.

How does Mohr's method for Chloride testing work?

Mohr's method involves adding a known volume of silver nitrate solution to the sample, which reacts with the chloride ions and forms a white precipitate of silver chloride. The endpoint of the reaction is indicated by a color change from yellow to red when the last trace of chloride ions have reacted with the silver nitrate.

What are the limitations of Mohr's method for Chloride testing?

Mohr's method is limited by its sensitivity, as it can only detect chloride ions at concentrations higher than 10 parts per million. It also requires careful titration and accurate readings to obtain reliable results.

How can the accuracy of the Chloride test using Mohr's method be improved?

To improve accuracy, it is important to use fresh solutions and properly calibrated equipment. It is also recommended to perform duplicate or triplicate tests to ensure consistent results. Additionally, using a back titration method can help to improve accuracy for samples with low chloride concentrations.