Cylinder on a frictionless inclined plane

In summary, on a frictionless inclined plane, a cylinder will slide down without rolling if it is started from rest. This is because there is no friction force to exert the torque needed for it to start spinning. The net force is through the center of gravity, so there is no torque and thus no rotation. This is true for all points on the object, as the gravitational force acts on each point individually. Without a friction force to cause physical interaction, the cylinder will only slide and not roll.
jp
I just have a question about cylinder. If a cylinder is on a frictionless inclined plane, does it spin as it comes down? I guess on a level surface, frictional force is required for a cylinder to roll, but I'm not sure about inclined plane.

Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by jp
If a cylinder is on a frictionless inclined plane, does it spin as it comes down? I guess on a level surface, frictional force is required for a cylinder to roll, but I'm not sure about inclined plane.
If the cylinder is started from rest, it will just slide down without rolling. A friction force is required to exert the torque needed to start it spinning about its center.

More precisely, since gravitational force acts on every point of the object, it is the same as if it acted only on the "center of gravity"- since the net force is through the center of gravity there is not torque and so no rotation.

Since all the forces are passing through COM and there is no physical interaction due to friction hence it must slide

1. What is a cylinder on a frictionless inclined plane?

A cylinder on a frictionless inclined plane is a common physics problem that involves the study of objects in motion on a surface with no friction. In this scenario, a cylinder is placed on a ramp or inclined plane with no friction, causing it to slide down the surface due to the force of gravity.

2. What is the significance of studying a cylinder on a frictionless inclined plane?

Studying a cylinder on a frictionless inclined plane allows us to understand the basic principles of motion, forces, and energy in a simplified scenario. It also helps us to understand the effects of friction on an object's motion and how it can be minimized or eliminated in certain situations.

3. How is the motion of a cylinder on a frictionless inclined plane affected by its mass?

The mass of the cylinder does not affect its motion on a frictionless inclined plane, as there is no friction to slow it down. However, the mass does play a role in determining the force of gravity acting on the cylinder, which will affect its acceleration down the ramp.

4. How does the angle of the inclined plane affect the motion of the cylinder?

The angle of the inclined plane affects the motion of the cylinder by changing the force of gravity acting on it. A steeper incline will result in a higher force of gravity, causing the cylinder to accelerate faster down the ramp. A shallower incline will result in a lower force of gravity, causing the cylinder to accelerate slower.

5. What other factors can affect the motion of a cylinder on a frictionless inclined plane?

Other factors that can affect the motion of a cylinder on a frictionless inclined plane include the starting position of the cylinder, the shape and size of the cylinder, and any external forces acting on the cylinder such as air resistance or other objects on the ramp. These factors can influence the acceleration and final position of the cylinder on the ramp.