I'm going to do something. I NEED TO know if it's safe

• Thread starter tribdog
  • Start date
In summary, tribdog is risking potentially serious injury by swallowing a magnet. Even if he does swallow one, the magnet will not be powerful enough to do anything outside of his body. Additionally, the human digestive tract is not designed to handle solid objects, and may result in injury.
tribdog
first off you need to know two things. 1. I just bought some super strong neodymium magnets. They are super small, shaped like rounded corner cubes about 3mm wide. The second thing you need to know is I do a lot of magic tricks.
If I swallow one of these magnets I think the possibilities for neat magic tricks are obvious. but I want to know if I'm going to die if I do. There are no sharp edges to worry about and I'm sure I can pass one through my system.
gimme some feedback

Physics news on Phys.org
your crazy...they're going to really hurt comin out:rofl:

Stay far, far away from thumbtacks, paperclips, pushpins, um... I suppose your computer too, but for different reasons!

they are smaller than a peanut and don't have as sharp of edges

Hahaha!

The acids in your stomach will attack the protective coating on the magnets, they won't be pretty when/if they come out [for more than one reason].

Why not just OD on iron pills and die? :)

I doubt that swallowing magnets is safe...

yeah I was wondering about that. is neodymium toxic?

Even if you do swallow it, the magnet will not nearly be powerful enough to feel the effects outside your body.

I think I can affect a compass from that distance. and I also think I could get it to hold up another magnet on my outside. but then I run the pinch risk.

here goes nothing

If you win a darwin award for this i swear to god i will kick your ass.

Brittle, sintered, sharp fracture edges, possibly close enough to the abdominal surface to be strongly attracted to your belt buckle? Dunno if I'd recommend it --- the chances of performing the first, live, no-hands appendectomy aren't all that large, but still ...

If you can get a good mm or two of high density polyethylene coating to hold the things together, it might be safer. However, the m.p. of the polyethylene is going to be higher than what the magnets take without losing their magnetism, so that's going to be tough.

http://webcenter.health.webmd.netscape.com/content/article/95/103531.htm

Do not do it!

Last edited by a moderator:
i think it sounds like a great idea. get video of all your neat tricks. see how far you can let it go down your throat and use the other magnet to suck it up.

I can't find many good MSDS sheets about neodymium, but NdCl3 doesn't look to good, and the Iron in the magnets reacting with the HCl in your stomach definatly isn't too good.
http://www.jtbaker.com/msds/englishhtml/F1678.htm (look under ingestion)

mattmns said:
http://webcenter.health.webmd.netscape.com/content/article/95/103531.htm

Do not do it!

thats only for multiple magnets. don't listen to silly medical reports. you know... i hear magents make a man look sexy...

Last edited by a moderator:
You're right Gale, that is for more than one magnet. Alright then, go for it trib :smile:

well...trib hasn't posted for an hour :uhh:

Actually, the magnetic field won't be strong enough to do anything but affect the compass. He can't hold a magnet up on his belly or anything.

Cows will be given magnets to attract any hardware (nails, etc.) that they may have ingested. However, I doubt they are ever given more than one at a time. If I'm not mistaken, they often stay in the stomach.

Mk said:
Actually, the magnetic field won't be strong enough to do anything but affect the compass. He can't hold a magnet up on his belly or anything.

I have one extremely strong magnet, and one strong but very small magnet... The strong magnet statches the smaller one from around 8 inches away...

I've swallowed coins, about the size of dimes, before, and no ill effects - they just passed through.

However, I don't think you should it, since the human digestive tract is not really designed for solid objects - but food and water/liquid.

Certainly people place strange (and solid) objects where nature didn't intend, but if you do, I hope you will be alright. :rolleyes:

I have a large-pill sized neodynium magnet, N42, and a ~2x3 mm neodynium magnet. I can manipulate the smaller from probably a foot away, and probably about 8 inches sucking distance. What is tribdog's waist's diameter?

Do you think it got caught in his windpipe? TRIBDOG, you know you aren't allowed to threaten to do something and stop posting! :grumpy:

I'll bet he forgot about that metal plate in his head and it traveled up his sinuses and lodged in his brain. :rolleyes:

yomamma said:
This can't be good:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :uhh: :uhh: :uhh: :uhh:
Does anyone how you can use the internet to connected 911(I don't the phone number for 911)Even if you don't where they are or there really name
Mk said:
Why didn't you say this earlier

yomamma said:

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
You know instead of celebrating his birthday, we should attend his funeral!:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
I have to say his last joke(swallowing a magnet) was funny and sad at the same time!:rofl: :cry: and it reminds me of this 1:

Did you hear about the guy with two wooden legs?
His house caught fire one night, the fire brigade was able to save it,
but sadly He burnt to the ground

Farewell trib!o:)

Has tribdog exploded yet

Thats it, I'm driving to arizona and I am going to kick his ass for this.

can you get me some KFC on the way?

I don't think he would be 1 of those people who do everything for getting more attention!o:)
So what was his motive? curiosity?

Averagesupernova said:
Cows will be given magnets to attract any hardware (nails, etc.) that they may have ingested. However, I doubt they are ever given more than one at a time. If I'm not mistaken, they often stay in the stomach.
I was going to point out the same thing. Though, no, they aren't intended to pass beyond the stomach of cows. They remain in the stomach chamber known as the rumen, and are intended to keep bits of things like baling wire that wind up mixed in the hay from puncturing the intestines. Then again, cows don't get to live as long as people do. :rolleyes:

Neodymium tarnishes in air, forming an oxide form that splits and exposes to further oxidation. The coated form does not protect the metal from further oxidation (it must be stored away from contact with air). The metal is also attacked by water and by acids.
http://www.chemicalland21.com/industrialchem/inorganic/NEODYMIUM CHLORIDE.htm

Nd+HCl(aq)-->NdCl3 which is very soluble in water, 96.5g/100ml.

However, Nd magnets have a thin coating of some sort to prevent oxidation. I'm not sure what it is and how long it lasts in dilute HCl.

tribdog said:
I think I can affect a compass from that distance.
Tell me what happens when they roll you into the ER and take a MRI scan :rolleyes: there are other places to put the magnet in order to affect a compass! or are you planning to do the trick butt-naked?

You S.O.B.s I've been stuck to the side of the refridgerator for the last 7 hours and no one came to check on me.

I bet if you get a really strong magnet, and glue it to right outside your anus, in two days a magnet will come flying out.