Simplifying sin^2 2θ/(1+cos^2 2θ) as a Function of sin θ

In summary, the conversation discusses expressing a given equation as a function of a specific variable and simplifying it using various mathematical techniques. The first problem involves expressing an equation in terms of sinx and simplifying it using trigonometric identities. The second problem involves rewriting an equation in terms of double angles and the third problem involves simplifying an equation with a square root using trigonometric identities.
UrbanXrisis
1. Express [tex] \frac{sin^2 2 \theta}{1+cos^2 2 \theta} [/tex] as a function of [tex]sin \theta[/tex]

here's what I did:
[tex] = \frac{4 sin^2 \theta cos^2 \theta}{1+(2cos^2 \theta -1)^2} [/tex]
[tex] = \frac{4 sin^2 \theta cos^2 \theta}{1+(4cos^4 \theta - 4 cos^2 \theta + 1)} [/tex]
[tex] = \frac{2sin^2 \theta cos^2 \theta}{2cos^2 \theta - 2cos^2 \theta +1} [/tex]

is this correct? can I simplify it more?

2. Write [tex]sin(a+b)sin(a-b)[/tex] as a function of double angles

I used the sum and product formulas to simplify the equation but I did not use the double angle formulas. I'm not quite sure what the question is asking.

Here's what I did:
[tex] = .5 [cos(a+b-a+b)-cos(a+b+a-b)] [/tex]
[tex] = .5 [cos(2b)-cos(2a)] [/tex]

not sure where the double anges come in. any ideas?

3. simplify [tex] \sqrt{2-2cos4 \Theta}[/tex]

i can make it become 1-cos4x but I don't know how to simplify it further because of the cos4. no clue on this one, any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
UrbanXrisis said:
1. Express [tex] \frac{sin^2 2 \theta}{1+cos^2 2 \theta} [/tex] as a function of [tex]sin \theta[/tex]
here's what I did:
[tex] = \frac{4 sin^2 \theta cos^2 \theta}{1+(2cos^2 \theta -1)^2} [/tex]
[tex] = \frac{4 sin^2 \theta cos^2 \theta}{1+(4cos^4 \theta - 4 cos^2 \theta + 1)} [/tex]
[tex] = \frac{2sin^2 \theta cos^2 \theta}{2cos^2 \theta - 2cos^2 \theta +1} [/tex]
is this correct? can I simplify it more?
Well it's not written as a function of only sin(x), so it's not correct yet.
Although there may be ways to simplify, you can reduce the sin²2x in function of only sinx like this:

[tex]\sin ^2 2x = 4\sin ^2 x\cos ^2 x = 4\sin ^2 x\left( {1 - \sin ^2 x} \right)[/tex]

In the denominator, there's a cos²2x but that's equal to 1-sin²2x, giving you the case above again.

UrbanXrisis said:
2. Write [tex]sin(a+b)sin(a-b)[/tex] as a function of double angles
I used the sum and product formulas to simplify the equation but I did not use the double angle formulas. I'm not quite sure what the question is asking.
Here's what I did:
[tex] = .5 [cos(a+b-a+b)-cos(a+b+a-b)] [/tex]
[tex] = .5 [cos(2b)-cos(2a)] [/tex]
not sure where the double anges come in. any ideas?
I'm not sure but perhaps this was the point, you have now rewritten it as a function of the double angles 2a and 2b.

UrbanXrisis said:
3. simplify [tex] \sqrt{2-2cos4 \Theta}[/tex]
i can make it become 1-cos4x but I don't know how to simplify it further because of the cos4. no clue on this one, any help would be appreciated.
There are 3 version of the double-angle formule for the cosine, choose the one which makes the constant disappear:

[tex]\sqrt {2 - 2\cos 4x} = \sqrt {2 - 2\left( {1 - 2\sin ^2 2x} \right)} [/tex]

[tex]\frac {\sin^2 2 \theta} {2- \sin^2 2\theta} = \frac 2 {2 - \sin^2 2\theta} - 1[/tex]
and simplify the denominator using [tex]\sin 2\theta = 2 \sin \theta \cos \theta[/tex] and [tex]\cos^2 \theta = 1 - \sin^2 \theta[/tex]...? Still complicated.

2. looks correct.

3. [tex] \sqrt{ 2( 1 - \cos 4\theta)} = \sqrt {2( 1 - \cos^2 2\theta + \sin^2 2\theta)} = 2 | \sin 2\theta} | = 4 | \sin \theta \cos \theta }|[/tex]

hmmm...I have to go to see a class day of the kindergarten of my daughter next month... :)

Last edited:
Your two problems can be solved easily-------------Akash

Sin(a-b)Sin(a+b)
=Sin(a^2) -Sin(b^2) /////////////////////you can check this easily. it is a formula
=[1-cos(2a)-{1-Cos2b)]/2
=[1-cos(2a)-1+cos(2b)]/2
=[cos(2a)-cos(2b)]/2 ////////////////expressed in double angle in cos

(2-2cos4A)^½=(2(1-cos4A))^½ ////////////A IS ANGLE THETA
=(2(2Sin^2A))^½
=(4Sin^2A)^½
=2Sin^2A)------------------------------Soved

Akash
akash_413@sify.com
captainvyom_akash@yahoo.com

1. What is the simplified form of sin^2 2θ/(1+cos^2 2θ) as a function of sin θ?

The simplified form is sin θ.

2. Why is it important to simplify this expression?

Simplifying expressions helps to make them easier to work with and understand. In this case, simplifying the expression allows us to see the relationship between sin^2 2θ and sin θ more clearly.

3. Can this expression be simplified further?

No, the expression is already in its simplest form.

4. How does this expression relate to trigonometric identities?

This expression can be simplified using the trigonometric identity sin^2 θ + cos^2 θ = 1. By substituting 2θ for θ, we get sin^2 2θ + cos^2 2θ = 1. Rearranging this equation gives us sin^2 2θ = 1 - cos^2 2θ. Substituting this into our original expression gives us sin^2 2θ/(1+cos^2 2θ) = (1-cos^2 2θ)/(1+cos^2 2θ). Simplifying this further leads to sin^2 2θ/(1+cos^2 2θ) = sin^2 2θ/sin^2 2θ = 1. Therefore, the simplified form is sin θ, which is a trigonometric identity.

5. How can this expression be used in real-world applications?

This expression can be used in various fields such as engineering, physics, and mathematics. It can be used to solve problems involving periodic motion, such as calculating the amplitude, period, and frequency of a wave. It can also be used in geometry to find the height or distance of an object using trigonometric functions. In physics, it can be used to calculate the acceleration, velocity, and displacement of an object in circular motion.