What was the role of the beta function in Veneziano's discovery?

In summary, a physicist noticed the euler beta function had some properties of a vibrating string and named it that. He found that the symmetric mathematical model was defined by the beta function and that it can describe the amplitude of a quantized vibrating string.
waht
I watched the elegant universe and one scienetist noticed the euler beta function seemed to explain what he was doing and it had properties of a vibrating string.

So I'm wondering if I could find his original paper, explanation or some additional info.

Physics news on Phys.org
The physicist's name is Veneziano if that helps your searching. I'd type something out (it's elaborated on in 'Superstring Theory' by Green, Schwarz and Witten) but I've a lecture.

Also google on "Dual Model", It started out with considering the basic H-shaped Feynman diagram description of a simple interaction; two particles p-1 and p-2 come in (bottom legs of the H), interact (crossbar of the H) and are transformed into two outgoing particles q_1 and q_2 (top legs of the H). Suppose you repace the crossbar of the H with a cartoon cloud labelled "Then an interaction happens". Physicists in the 1960 pointed out the experimental data can't really "see" the interaction and it's unprofessional to assume as much as the crossbar suggests. In fact you can't really distinguish the decription I just gave from the one where p_1 and q_1 come in from the left, interact, and become p_2 and q_2 exiting to the right. It was asserted that physics should be symmetric with respect to this dual explanation; neither "channel" should be preferred.

Veneziano then found that the symmetric mathematical model was defined by the beta function. In fact if you call the first description the s-channel and the second one the t-channel (traditional names) and they have individual amplitudes s and t, then the amplitude for the four particle interaction, as given by Veneziano, is

[tex] g^2 B(-\frac{s}{2} -2, -\frac{t}{2}-2)[/tex]

Where g is the coupling strength. (From GSW Superstring Theory, Vol 1, Page 50). And this can be shown to describe the amplitude of a quantized vibrating string.

What is a string in terms of physics?

A string in physics refers to a one-dimensional object that is believed to be the fundamental building block of the universe. It is a theoretical concept in string theory that describes the smallest possible unit of matter and energy.

What is the beta function in physics?

The beta function, also known as the Euler integral of the first kind, is a mathematical function used in physics and other scientific fields to describe the behavior of certain physical quantities. It is used to study the flow of energy or matter in a system and is often used to solve differential equations.

What is string theory?

String theory is a theoretical framework in physics that attempts to unify the four fundamental forces of nature (gravity, electromagnetism, strong nuclear force, and weak nuclear force) by describing them in terms of one-dimensional objects called strings. It is a leading candidate for a theory of everything.

How does string theory relate to the beta function?

In string theory, the beta function is used to describe the interactions between strings. It is an important tool for understanding the behavior of strings in different scenarios and is often used to calculate the scattering amplitudes of strings.

What is the significance of strings and the beta function?

Strings and the beta function are significant in the field of theoretical physics because they are key components of string theory, which aims to provide a unified understanding of the fundamental forces and particles in the universe. They also play a crucial role in understanding the behavior of matter and energy at the smallest scales.