Angle of incidence and reflection of a parabola?

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of deriving the equation for the line that models the angle of reflection off of a point using the concept of parabolic mirror calculations. The speaker also shares their method of finding the focus through geometric methods and mentions the difficulty in calculating the angles for other lines. They suggest using a parabola with its axis on the positive x-axis and vertex at (0,0) to avoid infinite slope and provide the equation for the reflection line in terms of the angle of incidence. However, this method does not seem to work and the speaker expresses their struggle with finding a solution.
nealh149
I've been playing around with parabolic mirror calculations in my free time, and right now I'm trying to derive the equation for the line that models the angle of reflection off of a point. I understand how to find the angle of incidence and that the reflection will have the same angle off the tangent line to that point, but I can't figure out how to get the equation for the reflection line. Any help would be great.

PS Basically what I'm doing is just finding the focus through geometric methods and seeing the intersection of these reflection lines. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Okay I'm working on it, but I just spent time and found a false answer.

I said the andle of incidence is going to be the angle of the tangent line above the horizontal line containing the x intercept. So the angle is (in degrees)

90 - arctan[(f'(x) - xint) / x].Also, if you assumed that the tangent is the x-axis on a new plane the slope of the reflection line would be the negative slope of the incidence line. To find the actual slop of the reflection line you could add the slope of the tangent line to the negative slope of the incidence line.

So

slope of reflection = -tan(angle of incidence) + f ''(x)

It doesn't seem to work though.

The angles for a line parallel to the axis of the parabola is relatively simple. The angles for other lines are extremely difficult to calculate. You want parallel to the axis anyway since those are the only rays that pass through the focus.

To avoid vertical lines (which have infinite slope) assume your parabola has axis on the positive x-axis, vertex at (0,0). Say, [itex]y= \sqrt{x}[itex]. Imagine a beam of light coming along the line y= c. It will intersect the parabola at (c2, c). The derivative of [itex]y= \sqrt{x}= x^{\frac{1}{2}}[/itex] is [itex]\frac{1}{2}x^{-\frac{1}{2}}[/itex] which, at (c2,c), is [itex]\frac{1}{2c}[/itex]. The angle of incidence is the arctan of that. The angle of reflection will be the same. If you draw that line of reflection up through the point of reflection, you will see that angle that line makes with the line of tangency above that point is the same as below ("vertical angles" from geometry) and so is the same as the angle of incidence. But that means that the angle that line makes with the x-axis is twice the angle of incidence. Since
[tex]tan(2\theta)= \frac{2 tan(\theta)}{1- tan^2(\theta)}[/tex]
the tangent of that angle is
[tex]\frac{\frac{1}{c}}{1- \frac{1}{4c^2}}= \frac{4c}{4c^2- 1}[/tex]
Thus, the equation of that line is
[tex]y= \frac{4c}{4c^2- 1}(x- c^2)+ c[/tex]
That will cross the x-axis (the axis of the parabola) when y= 0:
[tex]\frac{4c}{4c^2- 1}(x- c^2)+ c= 0[/tex]
[tex]\frac{4c}{4c^2- 1}(x- c^2)= -c[/tex]
[tex]x- c^2= -c\left(\frac{4c^2- 1}{4c}\right)= -c^2+ \frac{1}{4}[/tex]
so that
[tex]x= \frac{1}{4}[/tex]
independent of c.

1. What is the angle of incidence of a parabola?

The angle of incidence of a parabola is the angle between the incoming ray of light and the normal line at the point of incidence on the parabola's surface.

2. How is the angle of reflection of a parabola measured?

The angle of reflection of a parabola is measured between the reflected ray of light and the normal line at the point of reflection on the parabola's surface.

3. What is the relationship between the angle of incidence and reflection of a parabola?

According to the law of reflection, the angle of incidence and the angle of reflection of a parabola are always equal. This means that the incoming and reflected rays of light are symmetric about the normal line at the point of incidence.

4. How does the angle of incidence and reflection affect the reflection of light on a parabolic surface?

The angle of incidence and reflection determine the direction in which the light is reflected off the parabolic surface. A larger angle of incidence will result in a larger angle of reflection, causing the reflected light to deviate more from the normal line.

5. Can the angle of incidence and reflection of a parabola be changed?

Yes, the angle of incidence and reflection of a parabola can be changed by altering the position or direction of the incoming light ray. It can also be changed by changing the shape or orientation of the parabolic surface itself.