Analytical solutions of S.E. for unusual potential

In summary, the analytical solutions for region I are on the form A*exp(-ikx) rather than A*exp(ikx)+B*exp(-ikx), as the exp(-ikx) term would "blow up" when x -> -infinite. For region II, I would think the solution would be on the form A*exp(ikx) rather than A*exp(ikx)+B*exp(-ikx), since the exp(-ikx) term would "blow up" when x -> -infinite. For region III, I would think the solution would be on the form A*exp(ikx)+B*exp(-ikx), since the exp(-ikx)
DevoBoy
Analytical solutions of S.E. for "unusual" potential

Hi,

Given the potential

V(x)=0, when x<0 (region I)
V(x)=V_0, when 0<=x<=a, V_0=real constant (region II)
V(x)=infinite when x>a (region III)

What would be the general form on the solutions for each region?

I would think the solution for region I would be on the form A*exp(ikx) rather than A*exp(ikx)+B*exp(-ikx), since the exp(-ikx) term would "blow up" when x -> -infinite ?? But in the problem text I'm asked later "name the coefficient for the right-moving term A, and the left-moving term B", implying that I should use two terms for the solution ... ?

Physics news on Phys.org
DevoBoy said:
Given the potential

V(x)=0, when x<0 (region I)
V(x)=V_0, when 0<=x<=a, V_0=real constant (region II)
V(x)=infinite when x>a (region III)

I would think the solution for region I would be on the form A*exp(ikx) rather than A*exp(ikx)+B*exp(-ikx), since the exp(-ikx) term would "blow up" when x -> -infinite ??

No term would "blow up" in the I region simply because both the sine and the cosine are bounded functions.

Last edited:
DevoBoy said:
since the exp(-ikx) term would "blow up" when x -> -infinite ??

[itex]e^{ikx}[/itex] and [itex]e^{-ikx}[/itex] both oscillate. Their magnitude (absolute value) never gets larger than 1.

Ofcourse, my mistake.

So I end up with solutions:

psi_I(x) = A*exp(-ikx) + B*exp(ikx)
psi_II(x) = C*exp(-iqx) + D*exp(iqx)
psi_III(x) = 0

with boundary conditions

psi_I(0) = psi_II(0)
(d/dx)psi_I(0) = (d/dx)psi_II(0)
psi_II(a) = 0 (loss of continuinity here, right?)

Which gives the relations:

A+B=C+D
k(-A+B)=q(-C+D)
C*exp(-iqa)+D*exp(iqa)=0

Somehow I suspect I've missed something. A possibility of eliminating the exponentials in that last formula, or missed a boundary condition, or ... ?

Devoboy,

I assume you know that

exp(ia) = cos(a) + isin(a)

1. What are analytical solutions for unusual potentials?

Analytical solutions for unusual potentials refer to the mathematical solutions to the Schrödinger equation for quantum systems with non-standard or unconventional potential functions. These potentials may include step potentials, delta function potentials, or other types of potentials that deviate from the typical harmonic oscillator or Coulomb potentials.

2. How are analytical solutions for unusual potentials derived?

The analytical solutions are derived by solving the Schrödinger equation using various mathematical techniques, such as separation of variables, perturbation theory, or the WKB approximation. The specific method used depends on the form of the potential and the desired level of accuracy in the solution.

3. What are the advantages of analytical solutions for unusual potentials?

One major advantage of analytical solutions is their ability to provide a complete and exact description of the quantum system. This allows for a deeper understanding of the physical properties and behavior of the system, which may not be possible with numerical methods. Analytical solutions also often have a simpler and more intuitive form compared to numerical solutions.

4. Are analytical solutions for unusual potentials always accurate?

No, analytical solutions may only be accurate under certain conditions or approximations. In some cases, they may only provide an approximate solution or serve as a starting point for further calculations. It is important to carefully assess the validity and limitations of any analytical solution for a specific potential function.

5. How are analytical solutions for unusual potentials used in research?

Analytical solutions are frequently used in theoretical and computational research to model and analyze various quantum systems, such as atoms, molecules, and solid materials. They can provide valuable insights and predictions for experimental observations, and can also serve as a benchmark for testing the accuracy of other methods, such as numerical simulations.