Solving "tanx + sqrt(3))(cosx+2)=0" Equation

• Thread starter trekkie1701c
  • Start date
In summary, the equation (tanx + sqrt(3))(cosx+2)=0 has two solutions: x= -(pi/3) + k(pi) and x= arctan(-sqrt(3)). The equation can be solved by factoring and setting each factor equal to 0, or by using the identities tan(x) = -sqrt(3) and cos(x) = -2. It is important to remember the simple methods of solving equations, even when dealing with more complex problems.
trekkie1701c

Homework Statement

Find all solutions of the equation (tanx + sqrt(3))(cosx+2)=0

Homework Equations

Any of the identities

The Attempt at a Solution

(tanx + sqrt(3))(cosx + 2)=0
tan(x)cos(x)+2tan(x) + sqrt(3)cos(x) + 2sqrt(3) = 0
(sin(x)/cos(x))cos(x) + 2tan(x) + sqrt(3)cos(x) + 2sqrt(3) = 0
sin(x) + 2tan(x) + sqrt(3)cos(x) + 2 sqrt(3) = 0
sin^2(x) + 4tan^2(x) + 3cos^2(x) + 12 = 0 (square)
sin^2(x) + cos^2(x) + 2cos^2(x) + 4tan^2(x) + 12 = 0
2cos^2(x) + 4tan^2(x) + 13 = 0
cos^2(x) + 2tan^2(x) + 6.5 = 0 (Divide by 2)
1 - sin^2(x) + 2tan^2(x) + 6.5 = 0 (sin^2(x) + cos^2(x) = 1; cos^2(x) = 1 - sin^2(x))
-sin^2(x) + 2tan^2(x) + 7.5 = 0
-1 + 2sin^2(x) + 7.5/sin^2(x) (Multiply by sin^2(x))
2sin^2(x) + (6.5 + sin^2(x) + cos^2(x))/sin^2(x) -1 = 0
2sin^2(x) + 6.5 - 1 + cos^2(x) = 0
sin^2(x) + sin^2 (x) + cos^2(x) + 5.5 = 0
sin^2(x) + 6.5 = 0
sin(x) + sqrt(6.5) = 0
sin(x) = -sqrt(6.5)

The book gives an answer of -(pi/3) + k(pi), which I'd think is correct over my equations - I honestly don't know how to get to an answer because the book is horrid at teaching and I'm out of school for a bit so I can't ask the teacher for help.

Physics news on Phys.org
I didn't really look at your work too closely, but this way seems more obvious to me.

(tan(x) + sqrt(3))(cos(x) + 2) = 0

This is equation is factored, i.e. in the form you need to solve the problem.

Therefore, this equation equals 0 when:
1) tan(x) + sqrt(3) = 0
or
2) cos(x) + 2 = 0

1) check values of 'x' for which
tan(x) = -sqrt(3)
is true
*can you solve for x?*

2) check values of 'x' for which
cos(x) = -2
is true
*can you sovle for x?*

ey body, u can do this pretty simply,

(tanx + sqrt(3))(cosx+2)=0

when this is zero?

it is zero when (tanx + sqrt(3))=0 or (cosx+2)=0, or both of them are zero, so what u have to do is just solve these two equations now, and find the overall answer.

sorry, chaotic allready stated this. i did not see it

I guarantee that if you put "Solve (x- 3)(x- 5)= 0" on a basic algebra test, 1/3 of the students will multiply it out and use the quadratic formula to solve x2- 8x+ 15= 0!

HallsofIvy,

Sometimes people forget the simple stuff and use the less simple stuff; they may forget to recognize what they have already studied. Usually, the students still UNDERSTAND the simple stuff, but they just forgot that this simple stuff is all that is needed.

That's what happened with me. Too used to doing complex equations that I forgot that there were stupidly simple ways of doing it.

Thanks for all the help!

1. How do you solve the equation tanx + sqrt(3))(cosx+2)=0?

To solve this equation, you need to first factor out the common term of (cosx+2). This will leave you with two separate equations: tanx=0 and cosx+2=0. From there, you can use basic algebraic techniques to solve for x in each equation. The solutions for x will be the values that make the original equation true.

2. What is the domain of this equation?

The domain of this equation is all real numbers except for values of x that make the denominator of tanx equal to 0. In this case, the denominator is cosx, so the domain is all real numbers except for values of x where cosx=0. This would result in undefined values for tanx.

3. Can this equation be solved using a calculator?

Yes, this equation can be solved using a calculator. Most scientific calculators have functions for tan and cos, making it easy to input the equation and find the solutions for x.

4. Are there any extraneous solutions to this equation?

Yes, there may be extraneous solutions to this equation. When solving equations with trigonometric functions, it is important to check for extraneous solutions, which are solutions that make the equation true but are not valid solutions in the original problem. To check for extraneous solutions, you can substitute the values of x into the original equation and see if it makes the equation true.

5. Can this equation be solved using trigonometric identities?

Yes, this equation can be solved using trigonometric identities. In this case, you can use the Pythagorean identity sin^2x + cos^2x = 1 to express tanx in terms of cosx. This will allow you to solve for x using only the cosx term in the equation.