Question about some terminology

• Thread starter navigator
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Terminology
In summary, a question about terminology refers to an inquiry about the meaning or definition of a specific term or phrase. This can arise in any field or subject, from scientific jargon to legal terminology. Clarifying terminology is important for effective communication and understanding of concepts. It involves breaking down complex terms into simpler explanations and providing context for their usage. Asking questions about terminology is a common practice in learning and research, as it helps to ensure accurate and precise communication.
navigator
Why the mathematician call identification topology "quotient topology"?from my viewpoint,identification topology bear an analogy with difference(minus),not quotient(divide)...BTW,Could anybody tell me the reason why the mathematicians who coined the term "ring","ideal","soul" called them like that,is there any anecdote about this terminology...tell me sth about them...Thx...

Mathematics news on Phys.org
up

Does anyone know about it?

I'm afraid I don't see what your problem is with "quotient". It is, of course, in analogy to "quotient groups". If the groups happened to be written in "additive notation", i.e. a+ b rather than ab, identity= 0 rather than 1, the quotient group might correspond to a "subtrahend group" but that it just cosmetic.

As for the other terms, yo might find this websit interesting:
http://members.aol.com/jeff570/mathword.html

Thanks for your reply.Well,what I doubt will be stated in the following.From the viewpoint of intuition,identification is a gluing operation.As an example,we could get cylinder from rectangle via identification IxI/~(where (0,y)~(1,y)),and we may see that the operation is like to subtract the edge ((0,y) or (1,y)) from the rectangle,so identification should have an analogy with subtraction,rather than division.and when we call it quotient topology,what is the relation between quotient topology and product topology?inversion or other?...

1. What is the definition of terminology?

The term "terminology" refers to the specialized vocabulary or set of terms used in a particular field or subject area.

2. How is terminology different from jargon?

Terminology is a set of precise and standardized terms used by professionals in a specific field, while jargon is a specialized language used by a particular group or profession.

3. Can terminology change over time?

Yes, terminology can change over time as new terms are introduced or as existing terms are updated or replaced to reflect advancements or changes in a particular field.

4. Why is it important to use correct terminology in scientific research?

Using correct terminology is important in scientific research because it ensures clear and precise communication among researchers, allows for effective collaboration, and helps to avoid confusion or misunderstandings.

5. How can one learn and understand complex scientific terminology?

One can learn and understand complex scientific terminology by studying relevant textbooks and publications, attending workshops or seminars, and actively engaging in discussions and conversations with experts in the field.