Calculating Time and Velocity in One-Dimensional Kinematics

• Thread starter ScienceGeek
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Kinematics
In summary, the question involves a speeding motorist and a pursuing police officer, both traveling at different speeds and with different accelerations. The goal is to find the time it takes for the police officer to reach the speeder and the speed of the police officer at that time. Using kinematics equations and converting units, the time and speed of the police officer can be calculated. By setting the distance equations of the two cars equal to each other, the time at which the police officer catches the speeder can be found.
ScienceGeek
I am reviewing General Physics for the MCAT and have a question regarding kinematics in one dimension. The question reads as follows:

A speeding motorist traveling 120 km/h passes a stationary police officer. The officer immediately begins pursuit at a constant acceleration of 10.0 km/h/s. How much time will it take for the police officer to reach the speeder, assuming that the speeder maintains a constant speed? How fast will the police officer be traveling at this time?
I am unsure how to solve this problem, conceptually speaking. I converted the mixed units to units compatible with m/s. My calculated values are as follows:

Vmotorist = 33 m/s
V0cop = 0 m/s
V cop = ?
Acop = 2.8 m/s2
T = ?

I have used the following kinematics equations:
V2 = V02 + 2a∆X
V = V0 + aT
X = X0 + V0T + ½ aT2

I calculated the time it would take the cop to reach 33 m/s and the distance at that time:
V= V0 + aT X = X0 + V0T + ½ aT2
33 m/s = (2.8 m/s2)*t = ½ * 2.8 * 11.82
T = 11.8 s = 194.9 m

I also calculated the difference in distance between the motorist and the cop at this point (194.5 m) however I am unsure as to whether or not these values are even relevant. Any assistance with the direction I should go into solve these questions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Try this. Write separate formulas for the position of each as a function of time. When will those positions be equal?

ScienceGeek said:
I am reviewing General Physics for the MCAT and have a question regarding kinematics in one dimension. The question reads as follows:

A speeding motorist traveling 120 km/h passes a stationary police officer. The officer immediately begins pursuit at a constant acceleration of 10.0 km/h/s. How much time will it take for the police officer to reach the speeder, assuming that the speeder maintains a constant speed? How fast will the police officer be traveling at this time?
I am unsure how to solve this problem, conceptually speaking. I converted the mixed units to units compatible with m/s. My calculated values are as follows:

Vmotorist = 33 m/s
V0cop = 0 m/s
V cop = ?
Acop = 2.8 m/s2
T = ?
Ok, good.

Now, you want to find the time at which the cop will catch the speeder. At this time the displacement from the starting point of the cop of each car will be equal (otherwise, he wouldn't have caught him!) You tried to say that when the cop catches the speeder, both of their velocities are the same-- this is incorrect.

So, can you write an expression for the distance covered by each car? [Hint: leave x and t as v unknown variables]

If you can do this, then you will have set up two equations in two unknowns; you can solve these for x and t.

cuddlesome: here at PF we try to give tutorial advice, and guide students through questions. Please refrain from posting full solutions in future, as per the PF guidelines to homework help.

Thank you all! I set the distance equations equal to each other, eliminating X as a variable essentially and solving for t. I checked my answers with those provided in the back of the book and they were correct.

1. What is one-dimensional kinematics?

One-dimensional kinematics is the study of the motion of objects along a single axis, typically represented as a straight line. It involves analyzing the position, velocity, and acceleration of an object without considering the forces that may be acting upon it.

2. What is the difference between distance and displacement?

Distance is the total length of the path traveled by an object, while displacement is the straight-line distance between an object's initial position and final position. Displacement also includes direction, while distance does not.

3. How do you calculate average velocity?

Average velocity is calculated by dividing the change in displacement by the change in time. It is represented by the equation v = Δx/Δt, where v is the average velocity, Δx is the change in displacement, and Δt is the change in time.

4. What is the difference between average velocity and instantaneous velocity?

Average velocity is the overall change in displacement over a given period of time, while instantaneous velocity is the velocity of an object at a specific moment in time. It is represented by the slope of the tangent line on a position versus time graph.

5. How is acceleration related to velocity?

Acceleration is the rate of change of velocity. It can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. It is represented by the equation a = Δv/Δt, where a is the acceleration, Δv is the change in velocity, and Δt is the change in time.