Physical Chemistry, P.W.Atkins, the Schrödinger equation

In summary, the conversation is about solving the Schrödinger equation for a particle in no potential field. The solution is given as psi(x)=e^ikx, where i is defined as the imaginary unit. The process of obtaining this solution involves solving a second-order ordinary differential equation and using Euler's relationship. The conversation also includes a discussion on the possible values of k and the final form of the solution.
Dj pie safety

Homework Statement

Im doing an A-level project on the Schrödinger equation and am unsure on the mathematics used to obtain the following results:

The Schrödinger for a particle in no potential field (=0) has the solution:

psi(x)=e^ikx. i is defined below, I haven't really a clue as to how you get this result.

Looking at it I would guess that its a double integral to remove the second derivative of psi with respect to x, can anyone help me out here? I know how the rest of the equations goes after and using Eulers relationship to express it in tems of cos kx + i sin kx. You can also re-arrange k to show de Broglie's relationship.

any help is greatly appreciated

Homework Equations

schroedingerequation.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

??

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know how to solve 2-nd order ODE-s ?

ordinary differential equations?

i can solve second order derivatives but only relatively simple ones. This is a bit above my head. Would you be able to point me in the right direction of what to start looking at to get the correct result?

Thanks for the reply so far.

Regards, Simon.

Last edited:
What dextercioby was getting at is reforming the differential equation into a workable or recognizable form.

e.g. take [tex]\frac{-\hbar^2}{2m}\frac{d^2\psi}{dx^2}\,=\,E\psi[/tex] and rewrite it as

[tex]\frac{\hbar^2}{2m}\frac{d^2\psi}{dx^2}\,+\,E\psi = 0[/tex] and then

[tex]\frac{d^2\psi}{dx^2}\,+\,\frac{2mE}{\hbar^2}\psi = 0[/tex]

and letting [tex]k^2\,=\,\frac{2mE}{\hbar^2}[/tex], see what that form looks like and what the possible solutions are.

Ok i think i have got this now:

[tex]\frac{d^2\psi}{dx^2}\,+\,\frac{2mE}{\hbar^2}\psi = 0[/tex]

as you said: let:

[tex]k^2\,=\,\frac{2mE}{\hbar^2}[/tex]

[tex](1.) \frac{d^2\psi}{dx^2} = -k^2\psi [/tex]

let:

[tex]\psi = e^mx[/tex]

[tex]\frac{d\psi}{dx} = me^{mx}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{d^2\psi}{dx^2} = m^2e^{mx}[/tex]

Substitute into (1.):

[tex]m^2e^{mx} = -k^2e^{mx}[/tex]

[tex]m^2 = -k^2[/tex]

[tex]m = -k[/tex]
if:
[tex]-k < 0[/tex]
then:
[tex]m = ik[/tex]
so:
[tex]\psi = e^{mx}[/tex]
Therefore:
[tex]\psi = e^{ikx}
[/tex]

How does that look? it was a big effort but worth it :D

only thing I am not too sure about is the sign of k at the end of the process, + or -?

Thanks for the help so far!

Regards, Si

There's an error here:
Dj pie safety said:
[tex]m^2 = -k^2[/tex]

[tex]m = -k[/tex]
if:
[tex]-k < 0[/tex]
then:
[tex]m = ik[/tex]

[tex]m^2 = -k^2 ~\implies m=ik[/tex]
It doesn't matter if k>0 or k<0.

1. What is Physical Chemistry?

Physical Chemistry is a branch of chemistry that deals with the study of the physical properties and behavior of matter, as well as the interactions between different types of matter. It combines principles from physics and chemistry to understand and explain the behavior of atoms, molecules, and other particles.

2. Who is P.W.Atkins?

Peter William Atkins is a British chemist and educator, known for his contributions to physical chemistry and his textbooks on the subject. He has also written books on general chemistry, history of science, and the philosophy of science.

3. What is the Schrödinger equation?

The Schrödinger equation is a mathematical equation that describes how quantum systems evolve over time. It was developed by Austrian physicist Erwin Schrödinger in 1925 and is a fundamental equation in the field of quantum mechanics.

4. How is the Schrödinger equation used in Physical Chemistry?

In Physical Chemistry, the Schrödinger equation is used to calculate the energy levels and wave functions of atoms and molecules. This information is crucial in understanding the electronic structure and chemical bonding of these particles, which in turn affects their physical properties and behavior.

5. What are some real-world applications of Physical Chemistry?

Physical Chemistry has many practical applications, including the development of new materials, drugs, and energy sources. It is also used in fields such as nanotechnology, environmental science, and biophysics. Additionally, physical chemists play a critical role in analyzing and understanding chemical reactions, which are essential in various industries such as pharmaceuticals, food production, and materials manufacturing.