Is the Distance Between Two Moving Boats Changing Over Time?

• Thread starter pyrojelli
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Triangle
In summary, two boats start out 800 miles apart with boat A directly to the west of boat B. Boat A travels east at 40mph and boat B travels north at 20mph. After 7 hours, the distance between the boats is 538.516 miles, which is decreasing. After 16 hours, the distance is 539.528 miles, which is also decreasing. After 25 hours, the distance is 540.54 miles, which is increasing. The method used to calculate these distances was vector component analysis and the distance formula. To find the distance between the two boats, the hypotenuse of the triangle formed by their movements was used. To find the height of the triangle, the distance formula was
pyrojelli
1. Two boats start out 800 miles apart with boat A directly to the west of boat B. At the same time both boats start moving with boat A traveling to the east at 40mph while boat B travels north at 20mph. Determine if the distance between the boats is increasing, decreasing, or not changing after the following travel times: (a) 7 hours (b) 16 hours (c) 25 hours

2. I attempted to break apart their distances traveled by using component vector analysis. The distance between the two boats is the hypotenuse of whatever triangle they produce on the graph at a certain time. We want to find d'.

3. d'=? I park boat A at origin, therefore its cartesian coordinates are (0, 0), so boat B must be at (0, 800)

For part (a) I use vector components: A in x-direction: 400(7)=280 x-direction
So A is at (280, 0) since it does change in relation to y-axis (vice-versa for B)
B in y-direction: 20(7)=140 so B is (800, 140)
Base distance is 800-280=520 Height is just 140
I got the distance between them by using the distance formula: d=square root(520^2 + 140^2)= 538.516miles

How do I proceed to find h' ?

Physics news on Phys.org
From what I know, we can not use properties of similar triangles since the boats are moving at different rates.

1. What is the Morphing Triangle Problem?

The Morphing Triangle Problem is a mathematical puzzle that involves transforming a triangle into another shape by moving the vertices while keeping the area of the triangle constant.

2. How do you solve the Morphing Triangle Problem?

To solve the Morphing Triangle Problem, you need to use mathematical concepts such as the Pythagorean theorem, trigonometry, and algebra. By rearranging the triangle's coordinates and using these concepts, you can determine the necessary movements for the vertices to transform the triangle into the desired shape while maintaining the same area.

3. What are the real-world applications of the Morphing Triangle Problem?

The Morphing Triangle Problem has various applications in science, engineering, and computer graphics. It can be used to design deformable objects, simulate fluid dynamics, and create computer animations.

4. Is the Morphing Triangle Problem a difficult puzzle to solve?

The difficulty of the Morphing Triangle Problem depends on the complexity of the desired transformation and the solver's mathematical skills. Some transformations may be relatively straightforward, while others may require more advanced techniques.

5. Are there any variations of the Morphing Triangle Problem?

Yes, there are several variations of the Morphing Triangle Problem, such as the Fixed-Area Morphing Triangle Problem, where the triangle's perimeter must also remain constant, and the Morphing Quadrilateral Problem, where a quadrilateral must be transformed into another shape while keeping its area constant.