Rotational Energy and Pulley System

In summary, the problem is about finding the speed of a 4.00-kg block before it strikes the floor using energy methods. After setting initial and final energies of the system equal, we get an equation simplifying to m_{1}gh_{10}=m_{2}gh_{2}+\frac{1}{2}I\omega^{2}. By adding in the kinetic energy of the blocks and solving for v, we get the correct answer of 2.81 m/s.
GoldShadow

Homework Statement

Problem reads:
The pulley in the figure has radius 0.160 m and a moment of inertia 0.480 kgm^2. The rope does not slip on the pulley rim. Use energy methods to calculate the speed of the 4.00-kg block just before it strikes the floor.
YF-09-36.jpg

Homework Equations

[tex]E=\frac{1}{2}I\omega^{2}+m_{1}gh_{1}+m_{2}gh_{2}[/tex]

[tex]E_{initial}=E_{final}[/tex]

[tex]v=\omega r[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I said [tex]m_{1}[/tex] was the 4.00 kg block and [tex]m_{2}[/tex] was the 2.00 kg block. Setting the initial and final energies of the system equal, I got:

[tex]m_{1}gh_{10}+m_{2}gh_{20}+\frac{1}{2}I\omega^{2}_{0}=m_{1}gh_{1}+m_{2}gh_{2}+\frac{1}{2}I\omega^{2}[/tex]

Since initial angular momentum is zero and so is the height of block 2, and in the final state, height of block 2 is zero, this simplifies to:

[tex]m_{1}gh_{10}=m_{2}gh_{2}+\frac{1}{2}I\omega^{2}[/tex]

Plugging in numbers:
[tex](4.00)(9.8)(5.00)=(2.00)(9.8)(5.00)+\frac{1}{2}(0.480)\omega^{2}[/tex]

I got [tex]\omega=20.21 rad/s[/tex]. Then using [tex]v=\omega r[/tex] I just plugged in the radius and the angular velocity I just found to get v=3.23 m/s

This is not the right answer according to the homework website unfortunately... help would be appreciated!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You are forgetting that not all of the kinetic energy is in the pulley. The blocks have some too.

Alright, I added the kinetic energy into the equation (kept the left side the same since kinetic energy is 0 for both blocks when they're at rest) and solved for v:

[tex]m_{1}gh_{10}=m_{2}gh_{2}+\frac{1}{2}I\omega^{2}+\frac{1}{2}m_{1}v^{2}+\frac{1}{2}m_{2}v^{2}[/tex]

Using [tex]v=\omega r[/tex] and isolating [tex]\omega[/tex] and substituting that into the equation, I got 5.71 m/s.

But it still says this is wrong... how do I go about getting the right answer?

You are doing everything right and your presentation of this problem is super clear, good job. But if I put the numbers into your equation I don't get what you get for v. Are you just punching in numbers wrong?

Ah alright, I got it (v=2.81 m/s)... it turns out I did punch in a wrong number somewhere, I hate it when I do that, heh.

Anyway, thank you for the help Dick, I really appreciate it!

That's what I get as well. Like I say, I wish all posters presented stuff this well.

1. What is rotational energy?

Rotational energy is a form of energy that an object possesses due to its rotational motion. It is also known as angular kinetic energy.

2. How is rotational energy calculated?

Rotational energy is calculated using the formula E = 1/2 * I * ω^2, where E is the rotational energy, I is the moment of inertia, and ω is the angular velocity.

3. What is a pulley system?

A pulley system is a simple machine consisting of a wheel with a grooved rim and a cord or rope that passes over the wheel. It is used to change the direction of a force applied to an object.

4. How does a pulley system affect rotational energy?

A pulley system can either increase or decrease the rotational energy of an object, depending on the arrangement of the pulleys and the direction of the applied force. In an ideal system, the total amount of energy remains constant.

5. What are some real-life applications of rotational energy and pulley systems?

Rotational energy and pulley systems are used in various applications, such as cranes, elevators, and exercise machines. They are also important in the functioning of many everyday objects, such as bicycles, car engines, and fans.