What Are the Most Common Fears and How Can They Be Overcome?

• Thread starter Viper
  • Start date
In summary: I think it's good to have a small fear of God, in the sense that a healthy respect for Him is useful, but not to the point where you're afraid to approach Him.In summary, the conversation covers various fears that individuals have, ranging from specific things like jellyfish, dogs, spiders, and bugs, to more abstract fears like authority and fundamentalism. Some individuals also mention fears related to their personal lives, such as lying to parents or facing terminal illness. The conversation also touches on the topic of phobias and whether they can be reasoned with. Overall, the conversation sheds light on the different things that can elicit fear in individuals and how they cope with it.
Originally posted by Mistress Lilith
*Homeless people, beggars and drunks
*my dad
*the monsters in my cupboard and the ones under my bed

You mean you haven't made friends with the monsters under your bed yet?!? They're really interesting, if you get to know 'em.

Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by KL Kam
no. I think the bees didn't even know we were catching them. Bees aren't that scary as long as they don't stay on your skin. Even if they stay on your skin, just remain calm, wait for a sting or wait until they fly away.

How is that supposed to help a melisaphobic?

Please remember, KL Kam, a "phobia" is an irrational fear. I can't reason my way out of a phobia of bees (melisaphobia).

bees suck. I'm allergic to them, but I face my fear with a tennis racket. (Great bee swatter)

You think a regular bee is rough, you ever seen a Bumble Bore?

I can't think of much of anything I'd say I'm scared of. Even if I fail or lose or get injured, I learn from that expieriance and am better for having it.

I'd say my fear would be being confined in any way shape or form.

Orginally posted by Mentat
Please remember, KL Kam, a "phobia" is an irrational fear. I can't reason my way out of a phobia of bees (melisaphobia).
Well I know. In fact, I'm scared of spiders which are large, colourful and can walk very fast. I can ignore them if I'm 100% sure they would stay still for the rest of the day.

I remember when I was five years old, I was afraid of the band Kiss... and also the rock band on the Muppets.

eNtRopY

Origanally posted by megashawn
You think a regular bee is rough, you ever seen a Bumble Bore

The worst are bloody hornets, I hate them!

Originally posted by Mistress Lilith

*the monsters in my cupboard and the ones under my bed

You obviously haven't watched "Monsters Inc" carefully enough. Monsters are in fact much more scared of us than we are of them. :wink:

Having monsters under the bed defies all known logic

Originally posted by Viper
Origanally posted by megashawn

The worst are bloody hornets, I hate them!

No kidding. They'll attack you for no good reason, and they are FAST! Plus, they're the ugliest little beasts I know of. *shudders in revulsion*

Having monsters under the bed defies all known logic

LOL!

I'm sorry, I just found that excpetionally funny.

It does though, a man or women eating monster under a bed that's maybe 4 inches off the floor and there is about a foot between the floor below you.

It does though, a man or women eating monster under a bed that's maybe 4 inches off the floor and there is about a foot between the floor below you.

You say there can't be a 4-inch man-eating monster? Ha! I've seen a 3-foot girl eating salmon.

Whats that got to do with anyting?

i have probably the wierdest fear you can have, I'm not sure what its proper name is but its a fear of being afraid, if you know the name of it please tell me.

oh i also have a fear of wide open space's, i don't know the name of this one either actually so tell me if you know it.[?] [?] [?]

That must be hard, what can you do?

Originally posted by drdeath
oh i also have a fear of wide open space's, i don't know the name of this one either actually so tell me if you know it.[?] [?] [?]

I think its agoraphobia. How do you go outside? If you are scared of open space?

Originally posted by drdeath
i have probably the wierdest fear you can have, I'm not sure what its proper name is but its a fear of being afraid, if you know the name of it please tell me.

I have the same lol.

Originally posted by Pauly Man
You obviously haven't watched "Monsters Inc" carefully enough. Monsters are in fact much more scared of us than we are of them. :wink:
It's a LIE! They just want me to think that they are scared of us touching them!

Golly, I have to agree with Lilith on this one!

thanks ian smith, i thought it was something like that, i go outside ass little as possiable, work from home as much as possiable, and when i do go outside i keep my head down, think nice thooughts, and generally take someone with mme.

do you know the word for a fear of being afraid.

hey username do you know the word for our fear, how common do you think it is anyway cos of not heard of many people with it.

hi mistress lilith good to see your still around.

I just remembered, I'm also scared of clowns, and those people that dress up as cartoon characters and stuff at wonderland!

hi mistress lilith good to see your still around.
Hey drdeath, good to see you too!

Originally posted by Mentat
You say there can't be a 4-inch man-eating monster? Ha! I've seen a 3-foot girl eating salmon.

lol! A girl eating salmon?!

Anyway, I'm afraid of dogs, bees, crickets, praymantheses(sp?), and going to anywhere that's in the down town area.

Girls with "plans"...

Gangs of girls

being rich (also about girls!)