Draw 4 isomers of an aldehyde C5H10O

• Thread starter Mitchtwitchita
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Isomers
In summary, the conversation is about finding four isomers of an aldehyde with the molecular formula C5H10O. The participants discuss various methods of finding the isomers, including trial and error and mathematical approaches. One participant mentions 2,2-dimethylpentanal as the fourth isomer, while another corrects them, stating that it would actually be 2,2-dimethylpropanal. They also discuss the importance of using proper IUPAC naming conventions.
Mitchtwitchita
Hey Guys,

I have a question that says to draw 4 isomers of an aldehyde C5H10O and I can only find three (pentanal, 3-methylbutanal, and 2-methylbutanal). Can anybody help with a fourth?

Physics news on Phys.org
Something like that came up on one of these forums a few weeks ago. This is a permutation or combination type problem. ?? ?

... I found 4 of them. What is tried was setup two neighboring carbons; put the aldehyde group on the lefthand side carbon. The form which you seem to have missed is 2,2-dimethylpentanal.

Maybe all that could be mathemetized, but I just made trials until I could not find anymore.

Thanks Symbolipoint! Working with isomers can be a little tedious. But wouldn't that be 2,2-dimethylpropanal

Correct. 2,2-dimethylpentanal would have 7 carbons. A minor nomenclature error (in this forum at least).

Mitchtwitchita said:
Thanks Symbolipoint! Working with isomers can be a little tedious. But wouldn't that be 2,2-dimethylpropanal

You are correct. I really should have been more careful and gave the proper IUPAC name the first time. The isomer has three carbons in a straight chain part, justifying the "propanal" part of the name.

1. What is an aldehyde?

An aldehyde is a type of organic compound that contains a carbonyl group (C=O) attached to at least one hydrogen atom.

2. How many isomers can be drawn for an aldehyde C5H10O?

In general, CnH2nO aldehydes can have up to 2n isomers. Therefore, a C5H10O aldehyde can have up to 10 isomers.

3. How do I draw isomers of an aldehyde C5H10O?

To draw isomers of an aldehyde C5H10O, start by drawing the basic structure of C=O and then attach the remaining atoms (in this case, 5 carbon atoms and 10 hydrogen atoms) in different arrangements.

4. What are the possible structural formulas for C5H10O aldehydes?

The possible structural formulas for C5H10O aldehydes are: pentanal, 2-pentenal, 3-pentenal, 2-methylbutanal, 3-methylbutanal, 2,2-dimethylpropanal, 2,3-dimethylbutanal, 3,3-dimethylbutanal, 2-ethylbutanal, and 3-ethylbutanal.

5. How can I tell the difference between the isomers of an aldehyde C5H10O?

The isomers of an aldehyde C5H10O can be differentiated by their physical and chemical properties such as boiling point, melting point, solubility, and reactivity. They can also be distinguished by their different structural formulas.