OCD Symptoms & Treatment: What to Know

• Medical
  • Thread starter The_Z_Factor
  • Start date
In summary, the individual is seeking clarification on whether their behavior fits the symptoms of obsessive-compulsive disorder. They describe a pattern of constantly repeating certain actions and feeling the need to touch the corners of objects. They express frustration and seek a potential cure for their behavior, but are advised to consult a psychiatrist for a proper diagnosis. The conversation is then closed due to the limitations of providing a diagnosis without a professional evaluation.
The_Z_Factor
Ugh god I think I may have obsessive compulsion disorder..Im not exactly sure what the disease is but from what I've read (very little) and seen (in movies :tongue:), you have an obsession to do things over and over...Well I happen to be like that. Since 4th grade I've always had a thing for doing things over and over and over and over...and now it seems to have gotten worse. Apparently I have to touch the ends of things. If I don't I go absolutely crazy and I think of touching that certain thing I was thinking of touching. Then I have to touch it again. And again. Right now it seems like my obsession is touching the corners of whatever has a corner. Right now its my laptop keyboard and I am touching the damn corner of this thing every 10 seconds...Does this fit the symptoms? Is there any kind of cure for this crap? It gets unbelievably annoying I can't stand it anymore.

Biology news on Phys.org
I think you already know our answer...ask your doctor. I'm going to lock this thread, because you haven't asked for anything we can actually answer for you here. You would need to see a psychiatrist for such a diagnosis. If you would like to start another discussion on obsessive-compulsive disorder with the goal of learning more about the disorder, that would be fine, but understand that we cannot diagnose you here, and attempts at self-diagnosis can be quite flawed. (Most medical students go through a phase when they start to think they have some disorder they are studying at the time because they are spending so much time thinking about those specific symptoms and have not yet seen enough actual cases to know how to interpret the bigger picture yet.)

Hello,

I am sorry to hear that you are struggling with these symptoms. It is important to know that you are not alone and there is help available for OCD. Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) is a mental health condition that is characterized by recurrent, unwanted thoughts (obsessions) and repetitive behaviors (compulsions). These obsessions and compulsions can cause significant distress and interfere with daily functioning.

From what you have described, it does sound like your symptoms may fit the criteria for OCD. However, it is important to seek a professional evaluation from a mental health provider to receive a proper diagnosis. They can also help develop a treatment plan that is tailored to your specific needs.

There are various treatment options available for OCD, including therapy (such as cognitive-behavioral therapy) and medication. These treatments can be very effective in managing symptoms and improving quality of life. It is important to reach out for help and not suffer in silence.

I encourage you to schedule an appointment with a mental health provider to discuss your concerns and receive a proper evaluation. You can also reach out to support groups or online resources for additional support and information. Remember, seeking help is a sign of strength and there is hope for managing and overcoming OCD. Take care.

1. What are the common signs and symptoms of OCD?

OCD or Obsessive Compulsive Disorder is a mental health disorder characterized by recurrent and unwanted thoughts and repetitive behaviors. Some of the common symptoms include excessive hand washing, checking things repeatedly, counting, organizing, and having intrusive thoughts that are difficult to control.

2. Can OCD be treated?

Yes, OCD can be treated with a combination of therapy, medication, and lifestyle changes. Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) is the most effective form of therapy for treating OCD. Medications like selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) can also help manage symptoms.

3. What are the risk factors for developing OCD?

The exact cause of OCD is unknown, but there are certain risk factors that may increase the likelihood of developing the disorder. These include a family history of OCD, history of trauma or abuse, and certain personality traits such as perfectionism or high levels of anxiety.

4. How does OCD affect daily life?

OCD can significantly impact a person's daily life as it can consume a lot of time and energy. It can interfere with work, school, relationships, and daily activities. People with OCD may also experience high levels of distress and anxiety, making it difficult to function normally.

5. Are there any self-help strategies for managing OCD?

Yes, there are several self-help strategies that can help manage OCD symptoms. These include practicing relaxation techniques, challenging obsessive thoughts, gradually exposing oneself to feared situations, and creating a structured routine. It is also important to seek support from a therapist or support group for additional guidance and support.