Where would a voltmeter read 0 in a simple circuit?

In summary, the conversation is discussing the possibility of reading 0 voltage in a simple circuit with resistors and whether or not this is affected by the resistance of the wires.
lollol
Assuming a simple circuit with a couple of resistors

Would it just read 0 around 2 points uninterrupted by a resistor?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Any two points at the same potential.

well yes of course, anyone who knows what a voltmeter is can tell you that. I think the question is where those points actually are in some circuit.

i don't know.. i think unless the circuit is open you can't have that? i don't know.

edit: Do you mean an ideal circuit where the wires have 0 resistance? In that case I think that may be true; measuring voltage across something with 0 resistance should probably give u 0 voltage drop. I wish someone would clarify that though, I want to know as well

Last edited:
I think, considering this is "a simple circuit", we don't need to over-think it. I'd say lollol has the right answer.

1. Where does a voltmeter read 0 in a simple circuit?

In a simple circuit, a voltmeter will read 0 at the beginning and end of the circuit, also known as the terminals or nodes. This is because there is no voltage drop or change in potential energy at these points.

2. Will a voltmeter always read 0 in a simple circuit?

No, a voltmeter will not always read 0 in a simple circuit. If there is a battery or power source in the circuit, the voltmeter will read the voltage of the source. Additionally, if there are resistors or other components in the circuit, the voltmeter will read the voltage drops across these components.

3. What if a voltmeter reads 0 in a simple circuit?

If a voltmeter reads 0 in a simple circuit, it could indicate that there is an open circuit or a broken connection in the circuit. It could also mean that there is no power source in the circuit. It is important to check all components and connections to ensure the circuit is complete and functioning properly.

4. Why is it important to know where a voltmeter reads 0 in a simple circuit?

Understanding where a voltmeter reads 0 in a simple circuit is important because it allows us to determine the voltage drops and potential differences throughout the circuit. This information is crucial in analyzing and troubleshooting circuit problems.

5. How can I use a voltmeter to find where it reads 0 in a simple circuit?

To find where a voltmeter reads 0 in a simple circuit, you can place the voltmeter at different points in the circuit and record the readings. The points where the voltmeter reads 0 are the nodes or terminals of the circuit. You can also use the voltmeter to measure the voltage drops across components to determine where the voltage is 0.