Understanding Vector Components: Explaining an Inclined Plane Physics Question

In summary: You are correct, angles measured from the x-axis are measured in degrees while angles measured from the y-axis are measured in radians.
micaele
So I was watching some of those physics videos posted in schoolwork board, and although he probably didn't make an error here, I don't think I understand it.

Here's the pictues. I'll elaborate after it so you guys know what I'm talking about:

http://img144.imageshack.us/img144/6632/88907417sb7.png When he broke the downward mg force into its components (mg cos theta = ma sub x and mg sin theta = ma sub y), shouldn't it be mg sin theta instead, and likewise for the other? I thought that when you break a vector into its parts, sine is associated with the y-axis and cosine for the x.

Maybe I'm having a brain fart, but I swear I had those vector components figured out.

Thanks ahead of time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
No. Draw a picture and work out the geometery. Your understanding of sin and cos is fundamentally wrong.

see "Right triangle definitions"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trigonometric_function

Hopefully, you can work that out for yourself given the link.

micaele said:
I thought that when you break a vector into its parts, sine is associated with the y-axis and cosine for the x.

It depends on whether the angle is measured from the x-axis or from the y-axis. If the angle is measured from the x-axis, what you wrote is correct. If the angle is measured from the y-axis, it's the other way around.

jtbell said:
It depends on whether the angle is measured from the x-axis or from the y-axis. If the angle is measured from the x-axis, what you wrote is correct. If the angle is measured from the y-axis, it's the other way around.

THAT'S the reason!

Thank you, that completely did not occur to me. I understand now, thanks.

One of the easiest (not fastest) ways to avoid this difficulty is to always use standard angle measurement (where the + x-axis is 0). Then x is always associated with cos and y is always associated with sin and the +s and -s take care of themselves.

1. What are vector components in physics?

Vector components are the individual parts of a vector, which is a quantity that has both magnitude and direction. In physics, vectors are often represented by arrows, with the length of the arrow representing the magnitude and the direction of the arrow representing the direction of the vector. Vector components are used to break down a vector into its horizontal and vertical parts, allowing for easier analysis and calculation.

2. How do you determine the components of a vector on an inclined plane?

To determine the components of a vector on an inclined plane, you first need to draw a diagram of the vector and the inclined plane. The vertical component of the vector will be the force acting in the direction perpendicular to the plane, while the horizontal component will be the force acting parallel to the plane. You can then use trigonometry to calculate the magnitude of each component.

3. Why is understanding vector components important in physics?

Understanding vector components is important in physics because many physical quantities, such as force, velocity, and acceleration, are represented by vectors. By breaking down these vectors into their components, we can better understand and analyze the different forces and motions at play in a given situation. This allows us to make more accurate predictions and calculations in physics.

4. What is the relationship between vector components and the angle of an inclined plane?

The relationship between vector components and the angle of an inclined plane is that as the angle of the plane increases, the vertical component of the vector will also increase. This is because the force acting perpendicular to the plane becomes larger as the angle increases. The horizontal component, on the other hand, will decrease as the angle increases, since the force acting parallel to the plane becomes smaller.

5. Is there a difference between vector components and scalar components?

Yes, there is a difference between vector components and scalar components. Vector components have both magnitude and direction, while scalar components only have magnitude. Vector components are used to represent quantities that have both size and direction, such as force or velocity, while scalar components are used to represent quantities that only have size, such as mass or temperature.