Taking a sentence out of a publication while citing the source is still plagiarism

In summary, this conversation is about plagiarism. The two people are discussing different ways of being plagiarism and whether or not it is a bad thing. One person says it is, while the other person disagrees. The two people also discuss different areas of study and what different rules may be for those areas.
Monique
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
http://www.csubak.edu/ssric/Modules/Other/plagiarism.htm [Broken]

That is kind of scary, I never realized that taking a sentence out of a publication while citing the source is still plagiarism.. even when you change the wording!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I never realized that taking a sentence out of a publication while citing the source is still plagiarism
Nonsense, must be a personal view.

even when you change the wording!
Well that would be plagiarism. You can't change anything, even if they misspell a word or use improper punctuation.

Greg - Actually I completely disagree. I have written many many papers for professors. Some of the requirements was that we not use direct quotes, but paraphrase them, however still citing it within the text.

I have written many many papers for professors. Some of the requirements was that we not use direct quotes

Interesting, what classes? Maybe different areas of study have different rules.

Originally posted by Greg Bernhardt
Interesting, what classes? Maybe different areas of study have different rules.

All sorts of classes. Different areas of study. Since plagarism is a legal term, I wouldn't imagine different areas of study having different laws?

When we write paper for some course in microbio we have to apply the journal of Bacteriology format or some other journal format. Its ask that we do not directly quote the author and that we should paraphrase and change some of the wording.

As I understand it, if you lift a quote from another source, you have to quote and/or attribute it; simply listing the source at the end isn't enough. Paraphrases are the same way. The example they use is bad I think -- that idea is very common, and not obviously a ripoff.

All my papers needed to be in either APA or MLA format. Both have major sections for dealing with direct quotes. Why would they create standards for something that is considered illegal? Maybe I am missing something?

Are you guys telling me this is plagarism?
"Some really neat quote" (Author, Page#)

Last edited:
Plagiarism
The act of appropriating the literary composition of another, or parts or passages of his writings, or the ideas or language of the same, and passing them off as the product of one’s own mind.
To be liable for plagiarism it is not necessary to exactly duplicate another’s literary work, it being sufficient if unfair use of such work is made by lifting of substantial portion thereof, but even an exact counterpart of another’s work does not constitute plagiarism if such counterpart was arrived at independently. O’Rourke v. RKO Radio Pictures, D.C. Mass,, 44 F.Supp. 480, 482, 483.
See also Fair use doctrine.

Fair use doctrine
“Fair use” is privilege in other than owner of copyright to use copyrighted material in reasonable manner without consent, notwithstanding monopoly granted to the owner. Meeropol v. Nizer, Copyright Act sets forth factors to be considered in determining whether the use made in any particular case is “fair use.”

I ‘lifted’ this, tehehe, from;
Black’s Law Dictionary, fifth edition
(This dictionary is, I am fairly certain, the current official ‘rag’ used today in the US)

Let ‘em sue me if they want to

Originally posted by Greg Bernhardt
All my papers needed to be in either APA or MLA format. Both have major sections for dealing with direct quotes. Why would they create standards for something that is considered illegal? Maybe I am missing something?

Are you guys telling me this is plagarism?
"Some really neat quote" (Author, Page#)
No, 'cause you attributed it. If you left out the quote marks and cite there, and just included that author's work in your bibliography, that would be plagiarism...

If you paraphrase, borrow an idea, use a quote, etc..., stick where you paraphrased from at the end of the sentence and you're not plagiarising.

If you pass of the idea or words as your own, you are.

So this is ok?

Lets say I was writing an essay. In my essay I don't actually quote article anywhere, however I use an article as backup for what I'm saying. Is this format alright?

eg. The alleged cover up by the Chinese Government of the SARS outbreak, due to a fear of economic repurcussions(1), has implications for future disease control...

And in the reference list I have:

(1)- Debora Mackenzie, New Scientist, Volume 178, Number 2390, April 12th 2003, "Powerless to stop the spread", pp 6-7.

Paulyman
It is one way do it. As far as I know it will not be consider plagairism.

Cool. I like that method cause it means the actual essay is unclutered.

What is plagiarism?

Plagiarism is the act of using someone else's ideas, words, or work without giving proper credit or acknowledgement.

What is considered plagiarism when taking a sentence from a publication?

Taking a sentence from a publication without proper attribution or citation is considered plagiarism. This includes both verbatim copying and paraphrasing without giving credit.

Is citing the source enough to avoid plagiarism when taking a sentence from a publication?

No, simply citing the source is not enough to avoid plagiarism. While citing the source is important, it is also necessary to use quotation marks for verbatim sentences and to properly paraphrase and credit the original author.

Why is taking a sentence from a publication without proper citation considered plagiarism?

Taking a sentence from a publication without proper citation is considered plagiarism because it involves using someone else's work without giving them credit. This goes against ethical and academic standards of giving credit where it is due.

How can I avoid plagiarism when taking a sentence from a publication?

To avoid plagiarism when taking a sentence from a publication, it is important to properly cite the source and use quotation marks for verbatim sentences. It is also crucial to properly paraphrase and give credit to the original author for their ideas and words.