Is a Degree Necessary to Succeed in Engineering?

• Thread starter Dx
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolved around the question of what makes someone an expert in their field and what qualifications and experiences the participants have in their respective areas of study. Some individuals defined an expert as someone who is well-versed in a particular subject and stays updated on new information, while others emphasized the importance of formal education and years of experience. Most participants shared their interests and hobbies outside of their work or studies.
Dx
What makes you an expert in your science/math/whatever area that may be? What are your qualifications in here, what do you do for a living and what do you do for fun?

Lets spice it up!

Thanks
Dx :wink:

Physics news on Phys.org
Ill post first!

I don't want this to be negative, i am asking merely what everyone does for a job, your expert field of study. I shouldn't have been so vague with my question i was hoping to get to know everyone better here with asking this question.

Anyways... i am in the militray and i fix hospital equipment, i guess as repairman you could say. I fix computers, lasers, x-ray units, you name it. I love it but want more outtta life. My fav color is blue and i love pizza.

I watch movies and play games for fun.
Thanks!
Dx :wink:

dont be shy fella and gals post so we can all know you better!

I would consider an expert to be someone who is

1. Familiar with the entire history, development etc.. of every piece of knowledge in a given field (preferably a small field)

2. Must constantly keep up with the newest information and theories and know them by heart.

Those requirements are pretty widely accepted. I am of course an expert in nothing.

In the personal note. I'm good with science, math, logic, and music.

I would (with proof backing me) consider myself highly intelligent; I am somewhere above the 95% mark. But, I would in no way consider myself smart/knowledgable. Meaning it seems a lot of people retain a lot of information they learn in areas they don't study, like history and generalized "useless" knowledge.

Maybe I'm too hard on myself, but I know people who know some much more general information than I retain, as I think my brain likes to keep only what's going to be usefull.

I'm an expert at ... well, nothing! I like to build model rockets and fly them, but the govt is cutting off model rocket engine shipments because of security mumbo jumbo. I even built a little camera timer to take pics 1 sec apart for 30 seconds out of a walkman and foam core. I work at the geodata center at university, so boring.
studying physics etc. forever.

Well, I have my own project that I work on in molecular biology. I am particularly interested in researching the biology/genetics of human diseases. I am just starting thought at 22..

A great thing is: I will be presenting the work of our research in a meeting in Italy! http://www.genosconference.it [Broken] which is pretty cool.

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a nuclear fuel physicist/modeller working at an OECD research reactor in Norway. Probably going to start my PhD sometime around about February next year. I'm just starting out in the field so my knowledge is somewhat limited although I did my degree in theoretical physics. I wouldn't regard myself in any way as an expert.

I am 20 years old, and I have been a network administrator/remote setup guy for 4 years now.

I'm headed to college this year for a math major, after which I have no idea.

Pretty boring compared to some of the other posts here ;)

i have heard if you even study a subject for 10 or more years with or without formal education, you are considered an expert...

I don't consider myself an expert in any field. I do however consider myself to have a reasonably deep knowledge of Evolution.

i am 22 and don't consider myself an expert at anything, however i have a-levels in all 3 major sciences, i have read up on a lot of theoretical physics, i have read up on psychology, marketing, advertizing, business studies, and next year i plan to go to uni to study business administration with a marketing minor, I've also taugt myself computer programming, and level design. my hobbies are ... see above. and I've tested as having an IQ of 128.

so who thinks I am boring, and who thinks I am an expert, [zz)]

Originally posted by Kerrie
i have heard if you even study a subject for 10 or more years with or without formal education, you are considered an expert...

I hope it is true.

I'm an expert at ... knowledge seeking. That's why I'm here.

Originally posted by Kerrie

I heard a similar thing. That if you read two good books on a subject you can be considered an expert. I believe this is not enough. Ten years or more seems a reasonable amount of study.

I've been doing Mechanical Engineering without a degree for about 20 years. It took me 5 years before I could talk intelligently on the subject, and 5 more years to feel I truly understand the basics, then after 10 more years I have started going back to school for my degree:smile:

I'm an expert fine artist. I've been painting for more than 30 years. Even in art school I called myself an artist, not just an art student, because I've always felt like I understood it.

I've been doing Mechanical Engineering without a degree for about 20 years. It took me 5 years before I could talk intelligently on the subject, and 5 more years to feel I truly understand the basics, then after 10 more years I have started going back to school for my degree

How does one break into engineering without a degree? I only ask because I am currently an English major who will be graduating next year. Considering options such as going back to my local university for some 2 years to get a physics degree. The engineering thing has been lurking in the back of my mind for a while, ever since my prof. (english) said he was an electrical engineer without having gone to school for it.

Really curious about this, and looking for all possibilities to increase the amount of people who might possibly want to hire me when its time to get out there...

Thanks!

Originally posted by qwpoi
How does one break into engineering without a degree?

I began as a draftsman and gradually learned design. When my first employer retired, he closed his business and I had to find another job. The whole field had gone through a major shift from manual drafting to CAD. I knew nothing about CAD, so I had to find a job as a designer. The job I finally got was for a company that needed an engineer, I had 14 years experience in drafting and some design, so they thought I could do the job. My first month I had to teach myself computer programming; design the mechanical and plumbing systems for a ten story apartment building, including the complicated process of stair pressurization for smoke control; learn to write specifications and learn how to select equipment (all the while I was teaching another guy who worked at the same place how to do his projects and he had a masters degree in engineering, but no experience).

How to break in? Learn CAD to get in the door, then ask questions so you understand exactly what every part of a project is for. Ask questions about the processes of equipment selection and sizing and offer to do the next similar project. Take notes and make photocopies of every sizing chart and method you encounter and keep them in a binder that you can carry with you if you leave that job.

Originally posted by qwpoi
How does one break into engineering without a degree?

It can be done, but keep in mind that the degreed-engineers will be paid more and promoted faster for the same work you might do. You also won't be able to get certifications (or if you can, it would take longer). Not the end of the world, but it may be a source of frustration over the years.

Originally posted by Phobos
It can be done, but keep in mind that the degreed-engineers will be paid more and promoted faster for the same work you might do. You also won't be able to get certifications (or if you can, it would take longer). Not the end of the world, but it may be a source of frustration over the years.

Absolutely correct! That's why I'm back in school for my degree.

What makes you an expert?

1. What qualifications do you have to be considered an expert?

As a scientist, I have completed advanced education and training in a specific field of study, and have gained extensive knowledge and experience through research and practical application.

2. How do you stay up-to-date in your area of expertise?

I regularly attend conferences, read scientific journals, and collaborate with other experts in my field to stay current with the latest advancements and research.

3. What sets you apart from other experts in your field?

Aside from my academic qualifications, I have a unique perspective and approach to problem-solving and a passion for pushing the boundaries of scientific knowledge.

4. Can you provide examples of your expertise in practice?

Yes, I have published multiple papers and conducted research that has contributed to the understanding and advancement of my field. I have also been invited to speak at conferences and have received awards for my work.

5. How do you handle being challenged or questioned as an expert?

I welcome constructive criticism and questioning, as it allows for growth and improvement. I am always open to discussing and defending my ideas and findings with evidence and logical reasoning.