Systems of complex-number equations, how to solve?

• Thread starter KingNothing
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Systems
In summary, this person is trying to figure out how to solve systems of equations in the complex domain using a TI-89 calculator and two open source math solving interfaces, Scilab and Maxima.
KingNothing
Hi. I would like to state first of all that I do know how to solve systems of equations in the complex domain by hand. But solving by hand is no longer required in my course, and getting the answers most quickly is becoming the highest priority.

But the real problem is that I am getting into steady-state analysis and often have systems of equations from nodal or mesh analysis whereby the coefficients of a voltage or current are complex numbers. I would like to know two things:

1. Is there a simple way to solve such systems on a TI-89 calculator, presumably using matrices? Solving such systems is a cinch in the real domain using the "rref" function.

2. Is there a simple way to solve such systems in MatLab, presumably using matrices?

If anyone could help, that would be great!

Engineering news on Phys.org
It is straightforward in Matlab, you simply use the same methods as real systems of equations, i.e. A\b will usually do the job for a linear system where A is the matrix of coffiecients and b the RHS.

f95toli said:
It is straightforward in Matlab, you simply use the same methods as real systems of equations, i.e. A\b will usually do the job for a linear system where A is the matrix of coffiecients and b the RHS.

Hmmm...Could you give an example? I am extremely new to Matlab, and don't really know it very well.

So, if I wanted to solve this matrix:

(15+35i) (29+1i) 0
(46+13i) (62+3i) 0

How exactly would I enter all this into matlab? An example would be so appreciated, sometimes that's the best way to learn.

Well, the equation is Ax=b and we want so solve for x
There are several ways of entering the data, but this is one way
Code:
A=[15+35i 29+1i; 46+13i  62+3i]
b=[0;0]
x=A\b
which of course has the trivial solution x=[0;0]
the ";" means "next row", a space next column.

Can't this be solved by Cramer's rule?

Does anybody know of a java applet or a c++ program that could solve a system of complex number equations? I don't have MATLAB or a ti-89. I need it for doing nodal and mesh analysis in ac ckts. I know how to solve it on paper but the problem that I need to solve has 5 equations and 5 unknowns.

This person used Wolfram Alpha:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=381884

Here are what appear to be a lot of linear algebra calculators. There may be something of use in all this:

http://www.martindalecenter.com/Calculators2_6_AD.html#COMP-ALGEBRA-LINEAR-CALCULATORS

http://www.martindalecenter.com/Calculators2_6_AD.html#COMP-ALGEBRA-LINEAR-MATRIX

Even an older calculator such as the TI-85 or TI-86 can solve a system with complex coefficients, and they can be found inexpensively on eBay.

There are a couple of free and open source alternatives to Matlab if you want a full fledged math solving interface. http://www.scilab.org/" is made by MIT. Scilab aims to be just like Matlab and Maxima is somewhat like Maple. You can find lot's of tutorials for either with a Google search.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys.

I have been trying to figure this out since we started doing AC circuit analysis. To to it on the TI-89 use F2 --> Complex --> cSolve(). Use cSolve() as you would normally use the solve().
Hope this helps.

j0hntayl0r said:
I have been trying to figure this out since we started doing AC circuit analysis. To to it on the TI-89 use F2 --> Complex --> cSolve(). Use cSolve() as you would normally use the solve().
Hope this helps.

Wow, thanks. I've been trying to plug complex numbers into a matrix for an hour, lol. I know it's possible via rref() but cSolve() is nice and clean.

LOL @ reviving a thread of mine from three years ago. It's like a journey through time...

1. "What are complex numbers and why are they important in solving equations?"

Complex numbers are numbers that consist of a real part and an imaginary part. They are important in solving equations because they allow for solutions to problems that cannot be solved using only real numbers. Complex numbers are also used extensively in fields such as engineering, physics, and mathematics.

2. "What is the standard form of a complex-number equation?"

The standard form of a complex-number equation is z = a + bi, where a represents the real part and bi represents the imaginary part. This form allows for easy identification and manipulation of the real and imaginary components of the equation.

3. "How do I solve a system of complex-number equations?"

To solve a system of complex-number equations, you can use a variety of methods such as substitution, elimination, or graphing. The process is similar to solving a system of equations with real numbers, but you will need to apply algebraic rules for working with complex numbers.

4. "Are there any special rules or properties for solving complex-number equations?"

Yes, there are a few important rules and properties to keep in mind when solving complex-number equations. For example, multiplying by the complex conjugate of a complex number will eliminate the imaginary part and simplify the equation. Additionally, the roots of a quadratic equation with complex coefficients may be complex themselves.

5. "Can complex-number equations have multiple solutions?"

Yes, complex-number equations can have multiple solutions. In fact, the Fundamental Theorem of Algebra states that a polynomial equation with degree n will have n solutions, including complex solutions. This means that a complex-number equation can have up to n solutions, depending on the degree of the equation.