Finding inverse of a matrix and solving given equations.

In summary: A [x1 = [5 x2 = 2
cmcc3119
[SOLVED] Finding inverse of a matrix and solving given equations.

Hi,

I have a quiz tomorrow and I am looking at the sample quiz right now but I don't understand how the answers work!

Here is the question:

Find the inverse of the matrix A=

-1 3 3
-2 1 2
0 1 1

Hence solve the following systems of equations:

-x1 + 3x2 + 3x3 = 5
-2x1 + x2 + 2x3 = 2
x2 + x3 = 1

and

-x + 3z = -5
2x - y - 4z = 2
-2x + y + 5z = -1The answer says the inverse of A
-1 0 3
2 -1 -4
-2 1 5

Then it spells out how to solve the equations but the is the part that confuses me:

"The first system of equations corresponds to the matrix equation A
[x1 = [5
x2 = 2
x3 ] = 1]

Therefore, as A is invertible (i.e. A-1 exists),

[x1
x2
x3]

=A inverse of

[5
1]

which =

[-1 0 3 [5 [-2
2 -1 -4 2 = 4
-2 1 5 ] 1] -3 ]

So x1 = -2, x2 = 4, x3 = -3.

Can someone please explain how they just did that because I really can't understand where they derive -2, 4 , 3 from and what they do with [5, 2 ,1]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
So you've got this matrix [tex]\left(\begin{array}{ccc} -1 & 3 & 3 \\
-2&1&2 \\
0&1&1
\end{array}\right) [/tex] and you set of equations.

The first thing to note is that your equations are equal to [tex]\left(\begin{array}{ccc} -1 & 3 & 3 \\-2&1&2 \\ 0&1&1 \end{array}\right) \left(\begin{array}{c}x_1 \\ x_2 \\ x_3 \end{array}\right)=\left(\begin{array}{c}5\\2\\1\end{array}\right) [/tex].

So, in order to find (x1,x2,x3)T you need to multiply the equation on the left by the inverse of A. This will give (x1,x2,x3)T= something.. where you can calculate the "something" by matrix algebra.

So how would I know that I have to multiply the left by the inverse of A to find the answer? Is there some basic principle or law that I am unaware of?

Well, yes. The easiest way to solve the equation Ax=b (for a matrix A and vectors x and b) is to try and get x on it's own, no? Now, you know that [itex]AA^{-1}=A^{-1}A=I[/itex], so you know that multiplying the equation by A inverse will leave you with [itex]x=A^{-1}b[/itex], from which you can read off values for x.

Its so hard to put all these number and boxes back into simple ax = b and again rearrange. Thanks cristo for your help!

No worries

1. What is the inverse of a matrix?

The inverse of a matrix is a matrix that, when multiplied by the original matrix, results in the identity matrix. In other words, it is a matrix that "undoes" the original matrix. Finding the inverse of a matrix is important in solving systems of equations and performing other mathematical operations.

2. How do you find the inverse of a matrix?

To find the inverse of a matrix, you can use the Gauss-Jordan elimination method or the adjugate method. In the Gauss-Jordan method, you perform a series of row operations on the original matrix until it is transformed into the identity matrix. The resulting transformed matrix is the inverse of the original matrix. In the adjugate method, you find the adjugate matrix and then divide it by the determinant of the original matrix to get the inverse.

3. Why is finding the inverse of a matrix important?

Finding the inverse of a matrix is important because it allows you to solve systems of linear equations, which have many practical applications in fields such as engineering, economics, and physics. It is also used in other mathematical operations such as finding determinants and eigenvalues.

4. Can every matrix have an inverse?

No, not every matrix has an inverse. A matrix must be square (having the same number of rows and columns) and have a non-zero determinant in order to have an inverse. If the determinant is zero, the matrix is said to be singular and does not have an inverse.

5. What is the relationship between finding the inverse of a matrix and solving equations?

Finding the inverse of a matrix is closely related to solving systems of equations. In fact, one way to solve a system of equations is to rewrite it as a matrix equation and then find the inverse of the coefficient matrix. The solution to the system can then be found by multiplying the inverse by the matrix containing the constants in the equations.