Collision with ice hockey puck

In summary: V2.16V2=.8V2=5m/sHope that helps!In summary, the two identical ice hockey pucks, one moving at speed V1 and the other at speed V2, collide head on. After the collision, the first puck slows down to speed v1 without changing direction. To determine the speed of the second puck after the collision, the equation m1V1 + m2V2 = m1v1 + m2v2 can be used. Simplifying the equation, v2 = (m1V1 + m2V2 – m1v1)/m2. When the first puck initially had a speed of 18ms^-1 and was changed
lilmissbossy

Homework Statement

ice hockey puck moving at speed V1 collides head on with a second identical puck moving towards it at speed V2. After the collision, the first puck slows down to speed v1 without changing direction.
a)After the collision what is the speed v2 of the second puck?
b) calculate the speed v2 of the second puck when the first puck had an initial speed of 18ms-1 that was changed to 2.0ms-1 by the collision, and the initial speed of the second puck was 12,0ms-1. both pucks have a mass of 0.16kg

The Attempt at a Solution

well the questions shows that the initial puck continues on its path at a lower speed to i guess this was an elastic collision

not sure if the math is right tho

m1V1+m2V2 = m1v1+m2v2
v2 = m1V1+m2V2/m1v1 + m2

when i factor in the given speeds and masses in the next part of the question i am not sure if it is right.

v2 = (0.16kg)(18.oms-1)+(0.16kg)(12.0ms-1)/(0.16kg)(2.0ms-1)+0.16kg
v2 = 15.16ms-1

is this right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi lilmissbossy! I forgot to say earlier … Welcome to PF! :smile:
lilmissbossy said:
m1V1+m2V2 = m1v1+m2v2
v2 = m1V1+m2V2/m1v1 + m2

Nooo … v2 = (m1V1+m2V2 - m1v1)/m2.

Try again! :smile:

lilmissbossy said:

Homework Statement

ice hockey puck moving at speed V1 collides head on with a second identical puck moving towards it at speed V2. After the collision, the first puck slows down to speed v1 without changing direction.
a)After the collision what is the speed v2 of the second puck?
b) calculate the speed v2 of the second puck when the first puck had an initial speed of 18ms-1 that was changed to 2.0ms-1 by the collision, and the initial speed of the second puck was 12,0ms-1. both pucks have a mass of 0.16kg

The Attempt at a Solution

well the questions shows that the initial puck continues on its path at a lower speed to i guess this was an elastic collision

not sure if the math is right tho

m1V1+m2V2 = m1v1+m2v2
v2 = m1V1+m2V2/m1v1 + m2

when i factor in the given speeds and masses in the next part of the question i am not sure if it is right.

v2 = (0.16kg)(18.oms-1)+(0.16kg)(12.0ms-1)/(0.16kg)(2.0ms-1)+0.16kg
v2 = 15.16ms-1

is this right?

The hockey pucks are identical. You can drop the mass out the equations. Might make it simpler.

tiny-tim said:
Hi lilmissbossy! I forgot to say earlier … Welcome to PF! :smile:

Nooo … v2 = (m1V1+m2V2 - m1v1)/m2.

Try again! :smile:

Oh ok i see now i have made a mistake when rearranging the equation...
thats great i will factor in the values and it should make more sense:smile:

so the answer is 28 m/s that doesn't make much sence?

Hey guys, had the same problem.
Remember V is a vector quantity so if the pucks are heading toward each other one will be a negative quantity.

eg: (.16x18)+(.16x-12)=(.16x2)+(.16xV2)

so the answer is 4 not 28

Momentum Conservation
.96=.96

What is a collision with an ice hockey puck?

A collision with an ice hockey puck refers to the physical impact between a player or object and the hockey puck during a game or practice.

How fast can an ice hockey puck travel?

An ice hockey puck can travel at speeds of up to 100 mph, depending on the force of the shot and the type of ice surface.

What are the potential injuries from a collision with an ice hockey puck?

Potential injuries from a collision with an ice hockey puck can include bruises, lacerations, concussions, broken bones, and even more serious injuries such as spinal cord damage or loss of vision.

How can players protect themselves from collisions with ice hockey pucks?

Players can protect themselves from collisions with ice hockey pucks by wearing proper protective gear such as helmets, face masks, and padding. They can also practice good positioning and awareness on the ice to avoid direct hits from the puck.

Are there any safety regulations in place for ice hockey pucks?

Yes, there are safety regulations in place for ice hockey pucks, such as requiring pucks to be made of specific materials and meeting certain weight and size requirements. Leagues and organizations may also have additional rules and safety measures in place to protect players from collisions with pucks.