The Myth of the Biological Clock: Separating Fact from Fiction

In summary, Restless Eggs Syndrome is a syndrome where people don't have enough patience to have kids. It is also funny.
CaptainQuasar
The "biological clock" thing

You know that concept expressed as "my biological clock is ticking", the purported compulsion on the part of women to have children while all their girlyparts are still, er, reproductively in the black? Before Ol' Mother Nature, y'know, revokes the franchise? (The notion seems somewhat generalizing to me since I've met many women with no interest in having kids, and many men who are obsessed with the idea.)

So I came up with a great idea for what to call that: Restless Eggs Syndrome. Ha! Hahaha! I kill me!

I guess this is one of those posts where an obnoxious person just says something without any definite intent to start a conversation. The thread, as it were, is already all ova. (Oh, snap!)

We could talk about Restless Eggs Syndrome and what other names there are for it. Or I could be manacled and placed in the stocks and everyone could throw tomatoes at me.

Physics news on Phys.org

No clock here, but Restless Eggs Syndrome is pretty funny.

CaptainQuasar said:
We could talk about Restless Eggs Syndrome and what other names there are for it. Or I could be manacled and placed in the stocks and everyone could throw tomatoes at me.
My tomatoes are all eaten and/or canned, already. Will pumpkins be OK?

I love it, Cap.
My mother was an old maid until I was conceived (when she was 42). She always told me that I was hatched from a rotten egg.

turbo-1 said:
My tomatoes are all eaten and/or canned, already. Will pumpkins be OK?

Hmmm... pumpkins or canned tomatoes... I guess PF is the right place to go ask which one would cause a worse concussion.

CaptainQuasar said:
Hmmm... pumpkins or canned tomatoes... I guess PF is the right place to go ask which one would cause a worse concussion.
I could use buttercup squash instead of pumpkins if you like. They are harder, but their slightly smaller size makes them easier to throw.

Perhaps if you were merciful and waited until they're rotten...

so restless eggs is the one where you don't get kicked out of bed?

Trying out for funniest member guru?

Restless eggs Syndrome *is* funny.

You have been funny lately...

I was also born without a clock, so never have been able to understand it either.

Last edited:

My mother had me and my three sisters withing 4 years of getting married and then, 22 years after I was born, I got a brother. Many French-Catholic families in our immediate vicinity had 12 or more children. That might have been a great thing back on the farm, but living in a mill-town in central Maine just meant that the parents had more mouths to feed on very tiny paychecks.

CaptainQuasar said:
(The notion seems somewhat generalizing to me since I've met many women with no interest in having kids, and many men who are obsessed with the idea.)

In men, the syndrome later manifests as the "what the hell was I thinking" syndrome.

Oh, I still have some rotten tomatoes sitting out on the dead vines outside. I think I know what to do with them now. :devil: :biggrin:

"biological clock" makes me think of Flava Flav.

FlavaFlav.jpg

http://www.runemasterstudios.com/graemlins/images/lol.gif [Broken] Or Salvador Dali. If anyone is ever in the Tampa, Florida area there's a really cool Salvador Dali museum there. After having the tour guide take us through everything he did, his paintings actually made more sense to me than many of the more realistic ones I've seen.

28lalgl.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Math Is Hard said:
"biological clock" makes me think of Flava Flav.

FlavaFlav.jpg

What the hell is that?! :bugeye:

Danger said:

It's hilarious that, between the Salvador Dali painting containing a melted rearranged face and Flava Flav, you reacted that way to Flav.

I don't like Dali based solely on his mustache.

153p9bq.jpg

CaptainQuasar said:
153p9bq.jpg
Reach for the sky, Pardner!

Danger said:

Brigitte Nielsen's egg timer.

Math Is Hard said:
No clock here, but Restless Eggs Syndrome is pretty funny.

Maybe your clock is digital...no tick-tick-tick.

Proton Soup said:
Brigitte Nielsen's egg timer.

:rofl: :rofl: :yuck:

1. What is the biological clock?

The biological clock refers to the internal mechanism that regulates various physiological processes in living organisms, such as sleep patterns, hormone production, and metabolism. It is controlled by the suprachiasmatic nucleus (SCN) in the brain, which responds to environmental cues like light and darkness.

2. Why is the biological clock important?

The biological clock is important because it helps our bodies function efficiently and maintain proper timing of crucial processes. It also plays a role in regulating the body's response to external stimuli and maintaining a healthy sleep-wake cycle.

3. Can the biological clock be disrupted?

Yes, the biological clock can be disrupted by various factors, such as jet lag, shift work, and exposure to artificial light at night. This can lead to health issues like sleep disorders, mood disturbances, and metabolic disorders.

4. Is the biological clock the same for everyone?

No, the biological clock can differ between individuals. Some people may naturally have an early or late biological clock, known as "early birds" or "night owls." Additionally, age, genetic factors, and lifestyle habits can also influence an individual's biological clock.

5. Can the biological clock be reset?

Yes, the biological clock can be reset through various methods, such as adjusting sleep schedules, exposure to natural light, and melatonin supplements. However, it may take a few days to a few weeks for the biological clock to fully adjust to a new schedule.