Anyone have a good Physics Book?

In summary, Nabeshin suggests that you should start with conventional physics texts before attempting to read texts on superstring theory. quantum mechanics texts are relatively advanced in terms of mathematics, while books on nuclear physics are relatively easy. Feynman Lectures on Physics are also a good starting point if you have some calculus under your belt.
derek.basler
I've read a lot of the "popular" physics book, i.e. Brief History of Time, Relativity, Elegant Universe, etc. I want something more, perhaps explaining why things work with math and what not. Maybe not so popular, yet intriguing none the less. Does anyone have any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
Physics is a pretty broad topic... And unless you're looking for a mathematical overview of a lot of basic physics topics (mechanics, thermo, electricity), it doesn't sound like you're interested in a physics textbook. Most of the books I've seen that aren't afraid to get into the mathematics of situations are pretty specialized, such as Quantum Mechanics or Stellar Structure.

Your mathematical background as well as any specific topics you may be interested in will greatly help to find a book that will will enjoy.

well id like Quantum mechanics, but mostly string theory and things along that line. even nuclear/particle physics.

String theory, and "things along that line" are extremely intense mathematical theories. If you're looking for a more underlying, rigorous explanation of some of the ideas presented in say, Greene's elegant universe, I believe you'd have to spend years studying in the university to get to that point.

I agree with Nabeshin.

I would recommend that you start looking into conventional physics (mechanics, thermo, or astro) first before trying to read texts (not the popular novel, but actually text) on superstring theory. Quantum mechanics wise, all the books I have are pretty advance in terms of the mathematics. But my suggestions would be Quantum Mechanics for scientists and engineers, Quantum Kinetic Theory and Application (vasko), and the Physics of Quantum Information (Ekert, Zeilinger)

Basic Ideas and Concepts in Nuclear Physics (K. Hyde) is a relatively easy text for nuclear.

At the risk of sounding like a broken record...

The Feynman Lectures on Physics

If you have a some calculus under your belt. Also, old editions of Resnick & Halliday from the 60s or 70s.

1. What are the best physics books for beginners?

The best physics books for beginners would depend on your level of understanding and interest in the subject. Some popular options include "Physics for Scientists and Engineers" by Paul A. Tipler and Gene Mosca, "Conceptual Physics" by Paul G. Hewitt, and "Fundamentals of Physics" by David Halliday, Robert Resnick, and Jearl Walker.

2. Are there any online resources for learning physics?

Yes, there are plenty of online resources for learning physics. Some popular websites include Khan Academy, Physics Classroom, and HyperPhysics. You can also find free online textbooks and lecture notes for various physics topics.

3. What are some good physics books for self-study?

Some good physics books for self-study include "The Feynman Lectures on Physics" by Richard P. Feynman, "Six Easy Pieces" by Richard P. Feynman, and "The Elegant Universe" by Brian Greene. These books are written in an engaging and accessible manner, making it easier to understand complex concepts.

4. Are there any physics books that cover advanced topics?

Yes, there are many physics books that cover advanced topics. Some popular choices include "Introduction to Electrodynamics" by David J. Griffiths, "Quantum Mechanics: The Theoretical Minimum" by Leonard Susskind and Art Friedman, and "Classical Mechanics" by John R. Taylor. These books are suitable for students pursuing higher education in physics or those interested in delving deeper into the subject.

5. What are the essential topics that a good physics book should cover?

A good physics book should cover the fundamental principles and laws of physics, such as mechanics, thermodynamics, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics. It should also include real-life examples, illustrations, and practice problems to help readers understand and apply the concepts. Additionally, a good physics book should also cover recent developments and advancements in the field.