Please explain what this bra-ket expression means

In summary, the website explains that the expectation value of a wave function is the average of the physical quantity corresponding to operator A for the wave functions. It can have different meaning depending on the context, but when calculating transition probabilities it is the matrix element that tells you the probability amplitude that a system in state Ym will make a transition in into state Yn when perturbed by the operator A.
jbb
I am reading a paper that uses a quantum mechanical notation that I do not understand. I have found a webpage that explains it, but I do not understand the explanation either:
http://chsfpc5.chem.ncsu.edu/~franzen/CH ...

(let Y represent the Psi)
Specifically, I understand what <Yn|A|Yn> stands for, but I don't understand the significance when the bra and the ket represent different wavefunctions: <Yn|A|Ym>.

The above website states "it gives the average of the physical quantity corresponding to operator A for the wave functions". This confuses me. The expectation value of a single wave function is a concept I understand, but what is the meaning of the expectation value of two wave functions simultaneously? Does it have to do with transition probabilities?

If you could explain this to me or give me a reference, that would be much appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
jbb said:
The expectation value of a single wave function is a concept I understand, but what is the meaning of the expectation value of two wave functions simultaneously? Does it have to do with transition probabilities?

Yes, it can of course have different meaning in different context (depending on what A is) but when e.g. calculating transition probabilites it is the matrix element that tells you the probability amplitude that a system in state Ym will make a transition in into state Yn when perturbed by the operator A.
In pertubation theory "A" is essentially the hamiltonian that couples the two system together and can e.g. represent coupling via the electric field.
Look up e..g "Fermi's Golden Rule" (I think there is a wiki page) if you want to know more.

f95toli said:
Yes, it can of course have different meaning in different context (depending on what A is) but when e.g. calculating transition probabilites it is the matrix element that tells you the probability amplitude that a system in state Ym will make a transition in into state Yn when perturbed by the operator A.
In pertubation theory "A" is essentially the hamiltonian that couples the two system together and can e.g. represent coupling via the electric field.
Look up e..g "Fermi's Golden Rule" (I think there is a wiki page) if you want to know more.

Thank you very much! Fermi's Golden Rule explains all my questions.

1. What is a bra-ket expression?

A bra-ket expression is a notation used in quantum mechanics to represent the inner product between two vectors, typically written as <a|b>. The "bra" vector <a| represents the complex conjugate of the "ket" vector |b>.

2. How is a bra-ket expression used in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, a bra-ket expression is used to calculate the probability amplitude between two quantum states. It is also used to represent quantum operators and to perform complex calculations involving quantum systems.

3. What do the symbols "<" and "|" represent in a bra-ket expression?

The symbol "<" represents the bra vector, which is the complex conjugate of the ket vector. The symbol "|" represents the ket vector, which represents a quantum state in Dirac notation.

4. How do you read a bra-ket expression?

A bra-ket expression is read as "bra <a| acting on ket |b>." This means that the bra vector <a| is acting on the ket vector |b> to produce a scalar value representing the inner product between the two vectors.

5. What is the significance of the bra-ket notation in quantum mechanics?

The bra-ket notation is a powerful tool in quantum mechanics because it allows for simple and intuitive representation of complex quantum systems and calculations. It also allows for easy manipulation and combination of quantum states and operators, making it an essential part of quantum mechanics calculations and equations.