Convert from unit vector to (maybe) special euler angles on a machine tool

In summary, the conversation discusses extracting three angles from a unit vector in order to position a part on a 5 axis milling machine. The machine has 3 linear axes and 2 rotary axes, and the goal is to position a randomly oriented face parallel to the machine's XY plane. The first two rotations are determined by making the local coordinate system's Z axis parallel to the machine's Z axis, and the third rotation is found by rotating the coordinates around Z. The formula for extracting the A value is given, and it is mentioned that the third angle is not physically present but can be implemented through matrices. The conversation ends with a request for help in determining the C rotation.
fennex
Hello,

I am trying to extract the 3 angles from a unit vector to position a part on a 5 axis milling machine:

This machine has 3 linear axes (x,y,z), direct coordinate system
It has 2 rotary axes:
A turns about the x (called 'tilt')
C is carried on the A axis (called 'rotary')
See picture of an example of such machine.

I want to machine a feature (ex: drill a hole) on a randomly oriented face
My CAD software gives me the unit matrix of the 'local' coordinate system:

x1 x2 x3
y1 y2 y3
z1 z2 z3

See the 2nd picture:
- blue face is the face (local xy plane) that has to be positionned parallel to the machine (brown lines) XY plane
-The machine only has 2 rotations so the best it can do is to make the local coordinate system Z axis parallel to the machine's Z axis (spindle)
Then I need to add the 3rd rotation by rotating (or mapping) the local coordinates around Z to express them in the machine's XYZ.

I am able to extract the 'A' value:
A=atan2( sqrt(z1*z1+ z2*z2),z3)

In the example picture, the cube is 2x2x1
In this particular case:
A = 35.264
C= 135

That brings the blue face (or the local z axis) parallel to the machine's Z axis.
But the part is rotated 180 degrees around z.
I can easily rotate the coordinates with a rotation matrix. This is the 3rd angle that is not physically there (like an Euler type machine) but can be implemented via matrices.

How do I extract the 'C' move?
How do I extract the 3rd angle?

Thank you,
Paul

Attachments

• 5X-mill.gif
    5X-mill.gif
    32.2 KB · Views: 525
  • 5X-example.gif
    5X-example.gif
    15.1 KB · Views: 534
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello,

I found the answers, pretty easy actually after a few good nights thinking about it.

P

I have this exact same issue. Could you, or someone, show how this is done? I can find the rotation of the A axis fairly easily, but I'm stuck trying to determine the C rotation.

Thanks in advance,

Dan

1. What is a unit vector in relation to a machine tool?

A unit vector is a vector with a magnitude of 1 that is used to represent a specific direction in three-dimensional space. In the context of a machine tool, unit vectors are often used to define the orientation of the tool's axes.

2. How are unit vectors converted to special euler angles?

To convert from unit vectors to special euler angles, you must first determine the orientation of the unit vectors relative to the desired axis system. This can be done using trigonometric functions and geometric calculations. Once the orientation is known, the unit vectors can be converted to special euler angles, which represent the rotation of the tool's axes in relation to the desired axis system.

3. Why are special euler angles used instead of standard euler angles?

Special euler angles are often used in machine tools because they provide a more intuitive representation of the tool's orientation. Unlike standard euler angles, which can be subject to singularities and gimbal lock, special euler angles have a more straightforward interpretation and are less prone to errors.

4. What is the purpose of converting from unit vectors to special euler angles on a machine tool?

The conversion from unit vectors to special euler angles allows for precise control and adjustment of the tool's orientation in relation to the desired axis system. This is crucial in manufacturing processes where accuracy and consistency are essential for producing high-quality products.

5. Are there any limitations to converting from unit vectors to special euler angles on a machine tool?

While special euler angles provide a more intuitive representation of a machine tool's orientation, they can also be more complex and time-consuming to calculate. Additionally, special euler angles may not be suitable for all types of machine tools, and alternative methods may need to be used in certain situations.