Solving Floatation Problems for Pontoon Tubes: A Physics Homework Challenge

• Thread starter mac5877
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the conversation is about a person wondering if two aluminum pontoon tubes, each measuring 13 inches wide by 16 inches high and 11 feet long, can support a weight of 1000 pounds. They are also curious about how much of the tube would be submerged and are seeking help with understanding the concept of buoyancy. They are advised to read about Archimedes principle to learn how to solve their problem.
mac5877

Homework Statement

I have 2 pontoon tubes that are made of aluminum and the size of them are 13 inches wide x 16 inches high and the length is 11 feet long. I am wanting to know if these can float with a weight of 1000 pounds. And what would percent of the tube or how many inches would it be under water. The width between the tubes would be approximently 10 feet.

Homework Equations

It is unknown to this writer. I would guess that it would have to do with the width, height and length to get the square or cubic feet. I am not a math whiz and don't know equations.

The Attempt at a Solution

Have checked other floatation sites but not finding much. Can anyone help me in thsi quest. Thankyou mac5877

Physics news on Phys.org

Read up on buoyancy

Thanks Feldoh but I am looking for someone that can give me the answer to the questions.

Physics Forums frowns upon giving answers to homework problems, instead we try to help people understand why...

If you want to learn how to solve your problem read up on buoyancy. Specifically Archimedes principle

1. What is floatation physics?

Floatation physics is the study of how objects float or sink in a body of fluid, such as water. It involves understanding the relationship between an object's density, volume, and the density of the fluid it is placed in.

2. How do you calculate the buoyant force?

The buoyant force on an object is equal to the weight of the fluid that the object displaces. This can be calculated using the equation Fb = ρf * V * g, where ρf is the density of the fluid, V is the volume of the displaced fluid, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

3. How does the buoyant force determine if an object floats or sinks?

If the buoyant force on an object is greater than the weight of the object, it will float. If the buoyant force is less than the weight, the object will sink. If the buoyant force is equal to the weight, the object will remain suspended in the fluid.

4. What is Archimedes' principle?

Archimedes' principle states that the buoyant force on an object is equal to the weight of the fluid that the object displaces. This principle helps to explain why objects float or sink in a fluid.

5. How does the shape of an object affect its buoyancy?

The shape of an object can affect its buoyancy because it determines how much fluid the object will displace. Objects with a larger volume will displace more fluid and experience a greater buoyant force, making them more likely to float. Objects with a smaller volume will displace less fluid and experience a smaller buoyant force, making them more likely to sink.