Why do high-frequency sounds make people more alert and create tension?

• Thread starter Nemui
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tension
In summary, high-frequency sounds have a strong impact on our senses and can evoke a heightened state of alertness and irritability. This is due to the fact that our body's natural frequency is lower than high-frequency sounds, causing a mismatch and triggering a response of either fight or flight. This phenomenon is commonly used in films to create tension and can also be observed in everyday situations where certain sounds can elicit strong reactions from individuals.
Nemui
Hello,

I was wondering why high-frequency sounds make people more alert (often films use high-pitched sound to create tension).

I was told it is something to do with high-frequency sounds having more energy so they seem closer to us and therefore have more immediate impact but I wasn't sure.

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Thank you for your help- it's not quite what I'm trying to find out-your link was more about why low frequency sounds can have a negative effect on health. I'm more interested in the effects of high frequency sounds

This sounds like a psychology question.

There is one word to describe this phenomenon... irritation.

Through any form of sensory irritation 2-things happen: a heightened sense of the event, and, a pseudo-automatic response to either accept it or "fight-or-flight"

pallidin said:
There is one word to describe this phenomenon... irritation.

Through any form of sensory irritation 2-things happen: a heightened sense of the event, and, a pseudo-automatic response to either accept it or "fight-or-flight"

I'd agree with that, pallidin. High frequencies at a sustained note invoke a primeval alert response. But it can't be just the irritation alone. There is nothing more irritating than the unique disharmonics of a baby crying, with th exception of a practiced four or five year old, with better lungs, who has learned to apply what works best :tongue2:. Parents scramble, and strangers mutter. Sibblings take notes, and teenagers consider changing stomping grounds.

It seems there should be a noun for the invoked feeling on hearing a high frequency alarm. I can't think what it is--other than perhaps 'alarmed'.

Last edited:
The high-frequency is higher then your body frequency is,this will irritate you and may cause a little tension for you. For example, you go to the beach and listen to the waves crash,relaxing, because the wave frequency is at or near your body frequency. Also, a song you like very much is also at or very near your body frequency,and on the flip side, a song you really dislike is very far from your body frequency.

What causes high-frequency sounds to make people more alert?

High-frequency sounds stimulate the auditory nerve and activate the brain's reticular activating system, which is responsible for maintaining alertness and attention.

Why do high-frequency sounds create tension?

High-frequency sounds can trigger a stress response in the body, leading to an increase in cortisol levels and causing tension in the muscles.

Do all high-frequency sounds have the same effect on people?

No, the effect of high-frequency sounds on individuals may vary depending on factors such as age, hearing sensitivity, and personal experiences.

Can high-frequency sounds be beneficial for some people?

Yes, high-frequency sounds can be beneficial for people who need to stay alert and focused, such as students studying for exams or professionals working on a deadline.

Are there any negative effects of prolonged exposure to high-frequency sounds?

Prolonged exposure to high-frequency sounds can lead to fatigue, irritability, and hearing damage, especially if the sound is loud and continuous.