Three masses elastic collision

In summary, we are discussing an elastic collision between three spheres with the same shape, volume, and mass. Two spheres are moving parallel to each other with the same velocity, while the third sphere is initially motionless. At the moment of collision, the centers of the spheres form an equilateral triangle. We are trying to determine the after collision velocities (quantity and direction), using the energy-momentum conservation laws and equations of symmetry. In the center of inertia frame, the velocities simply change their signs, but in the laboratory frame, additional equations may be needed to find an unambiguous answer.
luckis11
Elastic collision. I cannot find the after collision velocities (quantity and direction), when 2 spheres strike an immobile sphere. All three of them have the same shape and volume, and the same mass (say e.g. 1 kg each). The two moving ones move parallel to each other with the same velocity u, and during their movement their center is on the same axis, vertical to the axis of their velocity. So at the first moment of the collision, the centres of the three spheres form an equilateral tringle. A link would be very helpful too.

Physics news on Phys.org
luckis11 said:
Elastic collision. I cannot find the after collision velocities (quantity and direction), when 2 spheres strike an immobile sphere. All three of them have the same shape and volume, and the same mass (say e.g. 1 kg each). The two moving ones move parallel to each other with the same velocity u, and during their movement their center is on the same axis, vertical to the axis of their velocity. So at the first moment of the collision, the centres of the three spheres form an equilateral triangle. A link would be very helpful too.

I think that the energy-mimentum conservation laws are insufficient to determine the final vectors in general case. In your case you can add the equations of symmetry: the still sphere should move along one axis, so the other velocity components are zero. The bounced spheres should have equal velocity modules after collision. Maybe these additional equations will fix the liberty in your variables and lead to an unambiguous answer. It concerns the problem in the laboratory reference frame.

In the center of inertia frame everything is much simpler: the initial and final energies are equal, and the velocities change simply their signs.

Bob.

Bob_for_short said:
In the center of inertia frame everything is much simpler: the initial and final energies are equal, and the velocities change simply their signs.

Yes, do it in the centre of mass frame :smile:

I don't see how the center of mass idea helps here. If the third sphere is immobile, then it's easiest to do it in the frame where that sphere has no velocity.

Oh, wait, does immobile here not mean "unable to move"? Does it mean simply "initially motionless"?

I'd normally think of an immobile sphere as having infinite mass, but the problem statement says all three spheres have the same mass. So, if that's the case, then yeah, center of mass makes sense to me now. Can you clarify a bit what you mean by "immobile," luckis11?

By "immobile" I meant that its velocity was zero before the collision.

1. What is a three masses elastic collision?

A three masses elastic collision is a type of collision that involves three objects colliding with each other and bouncing off each other without losing any kinetic energy. It is also known as a perfectly elastic collision.

2. What are the conditions for a three masses elastic collision to occur?

In order for a three masses elastic collision to occur, the objects must be moving in a straight line and must all have the same mass. Additionally, there should be no external forces acting on the objects during the collision.

3. How is momentum conserved in a three masses elastic collision?

Momentum is conserved in a three masses elastic collision because the total momentum of the three objects before the collision is equal to the total momentum of the three objects after the collision. This is due to the fact that there are no external forces acting on the objects during the collision.

4. How does the speed of the objects change in a three masses elastic collision?

In a three masses elastic collision, the speed of the objects may change, but their total kinetic energy remains constant. This means that some objects may slow down while others may speed up, but the overall kinetic energy of the system remains the same.

5. Can a three masses elastic collision occur in real life?

While ideal three masses elastic collisions may not occur in real life, many collisions can be approximated as elastic if the objects involved are very stiff and do not deform upon impact. Examples of this include collisions between billiard balls or atoms in a gas.