Total Solar Eclipse 2009: July 22

• Stargazing
  • Thread starter StarShips09
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Eclipse Solar
In summary, the conversation is discussing the total solar eclipse that took place on 2009/07/22 in China. The NASA website provided information about the eclipse and a live broadcast was also available on the University of North Dakota's website. Someone from Shanghai was planning to take pictures of the eclipse and share them. The person who had previously witnessed a total eclipse in Hawaii shared their experience and some images of the eclipse in Shanghai.
Astronomy news on Phys.org
ideasrule said:
Unfortunately, I no longer live anywhere near China.:grumpy:

I know someone from Shanghai who is going home to see the eclipse. He promises that he will return with pictures.

Sorry about the late notice guys. You can watch a live broadcast of the total eclipse from University of North Dakota's site.

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2009/07/eclipse/

http://sems1.cs.und.edu/~sems/index_Video.php

It may take some time to load and it starts at 5:15 PST (15 minutes!) so let me know if you have difficulty.

Last edited by a moderator:
http://orbitsimulator.com/shanghai/shanghai2.html

Here's a quick animation and some still images I took from Shanghai. It rained during totality. During totality, it turned as dark as midnight. When I was in Hawaii in 1991, totality was only twilight-dark. There's a link to an avi file on this page. It was made by one of the astronomers I was watching with. You can see me in the video a few times! It's a large file and might take a long time to load. But it does an excellent job showing the umbrella-clutching crowd experiencing totality. Day changes to night and back to day in just a few minutes.

1. What is a total solar eclipse?

A total solar eclipse occurs when the moon passes between the sun and the Earth, blocking the sun's light and casting a shadow on the Earth's surface. This creates a temporary period of darkness during the day.

2. When will the total solar eclipse occur in 2009?

The total solar eclipse of 2009 will occur on July 22nd, starting at approximately 6:15 pm UTC and ending at 8:45 pm UTC. The exact timing and duration of the eclipse will vary depending on the location.

3. Where will the total solar eclipse be visible?

The total solar eclipse will be visible in a narrow path that stretches from India, through Nepal, Bangladesh, Bhutan, Myanmar, and China. A partial eclipse will also be visible in parts of Southeast Asia and the Pacific region.

4. Is it safe to look at a total solar eclipse?

No, it is not safe to look directly at a total solar eclipse without proper eye protection. The sun's rays can still cause damage to your eyes even when it is partially covered by the moon. It is recommended to use special eclipse glasses or a pinhole projector to safely view the eclipse.

5. How often do total solar eclipses occur?

Total solar eclipses occur approximately every 18 months, but they are not visible from every location on Earth. The next total solar eclipse visible from a similar path as the 2009 eclipse will occur on June 14th, 2151.