Julian Barbour's "End of Time"

• Thread starter Mahlonslee
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses Julian Barbour's book "The End of Time" and asks for opinions on whether it is worth reading. The original poster is unsure about the theories presented in the book and asks for reviews or opinions. Another member mentions that Barbour is well known for his work on spacetime concepts and welcomes the new member to the forum.
Mahlonslee
[SOLVED] Julian Barbour's "End of Time"

Hi all,

I'm new to these forums, have been trolling them for the past week and thought I'd post.

Was in the bookstore yesterday looking in the physics section and found a book called "The End of Time" by Julian Barbour and started reading into it. I'm a bit of an amateur and was just wondering if anyone else has read this and whether its worth the time at all, as his theories seem a bit far fetched and without much backing from the scientific community.

Well if any of you have read it and can offer up a review or an opinion I would be very much indebted to you.

Thanks again,

Physics news on Phys.org
I haven't read the book, but barbour is well known for his work on clarifying spacetime concepts.

Welcome to Physics Forums, Mahlonslee!

Moving this topic to our new Astronomy book forum...

1. What is Julian Barbour's "End of Time" theory?

Julian Barbour's "End of Time" theory is a concept in physics that suggests that time is an illusion and does not truly exist. According to this theory, the universe is timeless and all moments in time exist simultaneously.

2. What evidence supports Julian Barbour's "End of Time" theory?

There is currently no direct evidence that supports Barbour's theory. It is a philosophical and conceptual idea that challenges our traditional understanding of time. However, some physicists argue that certain phenomena, such as quantum entanglement, could potentially be explained by a timeless universe.

3. How does Julian Barbour's "End of Time" theory differ from other theories of time?

Barbour's theory is unique in that it rejects the idea of a "flow" or "arrow" of time. Other theories, such as the block universe theory, still maintain that time exists as a dimension that progresses from past to present to future. Barbour's theory, on the other hand, suggests that all moments in time are equally real and there is no distinction between past, present, and future.

4. What are some criticisms of Julian Barbour's "End of Time" theory?

Critics argue that Barbour's theory is purely philosophical and does not have any empirical evidence to support it. Additionally, it goes against our common sense understanding of time and may be difficult for some to grasp. Some also argue that a timeless universe would not be able to explain many of the observable phenomena in our world.

5. How does Julian Barbour's "End of Time" theory impact our understanding of the universe?

If Barbour's theory were to be proven true, it would fundamentally change our understanding of the universe. It would mean that our perception of time is an illusion and that all moments in time are equally real. It would also have implications for concepts such as causality and free will.