Uniform Convergence and integration

In summary, the theorem states that if the functions u_n (x) are continuous on the closed interval [a,b], and they converge uniformly on this interval to the limit function u(x), then the sequence of functions u_n (x) is not uniformly convergent on the interval.
angryfaceofdr
What can I conclude using the following theorem?

Let the functions [tex] u_n (x) [/tex] be continuous on the closed interval [tex] a \le x \le b[/tex] and let them converge uniformly on this interval to the limit function [tex] u(x) [/tex]. Then

[tex]
\int_a^b u (x) \, dx=\lim_{n \to \infty} \int_a^b u_n (x) \, dx
[/tex]

Can I conclude that if [itex] \int_a^b u (x) \, dx \neq \lim_{n \to \infty} \int_a^b u_n (x) \, dx [/itex], then the sequence of functions [itex] u_n (x) [/itex] is NOT uniformly convergent on the interval?

-Also what is the contrapositive of the above theorem? (I am confused on how to negate [itex] P [/itex]=" Let the functions [itex] u_n (x) [/itex] be continuous on the closed interval [itex] a \le x \le b[/itex] and let them converge uniformly on this interval to the limit function [itex] u(x) [/itex]." )

Physics news on Phys.org
If you get confused by logic, then try to assign symbols for different statements, and reduce the problem to a simpler form. If you know

[tex]
A\quad\textrm{and}\quad B\implies C
[/tex]

then you also know

[tex]
\textrm{not}\; C\implies (\textrm{not}\;A)\quad\textrm{or}\quad(\textrm{not}\;B)
[/tex]

Your example is slightly more confusing than it would need to be, because continuity of [itex]u_n[/itex] is not highly essential. If [itex]u_n[/itex] and [itex]u[/itex] are integrable, and [itex]u_n\to u[/itex] uniformly, then

[tex]
\lim_{n\to\infty} \int\limits_a^b u_n(x)dx = \int\limits_a^b u(x) dx.
[/tex]

Substituting [itex]A[/itex] to be the knowledge that [itex]u_n[/itex] are all continuous, [itex]B[/itex] to be the knowledge that [itex]u_n\to u[/itex] uniformly, and [itex]C[/itex] to be the knowledge that the limit and integral commute, might bring some clarity.

I would also set [itex]D[/itex] to be the knowledge that [itex]u_n[/itex] and [itex]u[/itex] are integrable. Then

[tex]
B\quad\textrm{and}\quad D\implies C
[/tex]

and

[tex]
A\quad\textrm{and}\quad B\implies D
[/tex]

(additional comment: I just realized that if [itex]u_n[/itex] are integrable and if [itex]u_n\to u[/itex] uniformly, then probably [itex]u[/itex] is integrable too, but I'm not 100% sure of this right now. It could be that some parts of my response are not the most sense making, but I think there is nothing incorrect there anyway.)

Last edited:
How would you get [tex] \neg A [/tex]? Do you negate closed and the interval as [itex]a>x>b[/itex]?

Or in other words,

" Assume the functions [tex] u_n (x) [/tex] are not continuous on the not closed interval [tex] a > x > b[/tex]"?

Last edited:
angryfaceofdr said:
How would you get [tex] \neg A [/tex]? Do you negate closed and the interval as [itex]a>x>b[/itex]?

I would keep the assumption that the functions are of form [itex]u_n:[a,b]\to\mathbb{C}[/itex] untouched, and only let [itex]A[/itex] concern the continuity.

It should be recognized that there is true ambiguity in questions like this. If I declare that [itex]u_n[/itex] will always have the domain [itex][a,b][/itex], and then state that [itex]A[/itex] means that [itex]u_n[/itex] are all continuous, than [itex]\neg A[/itex] will simply mean that [itex]u_n[/itex] are not all continuous. This is what I meant originally.

Alternatively one could state that [itex]A[/itex] means that [itex]u_n[/itex] all have the domain [itex][a,b][/itex] and that [itex]u_n[/itex] are all continuous. Then [itex]\neg A[/itex] would mean that [itex]u_n[/itex] don't all have the domain [itex][a,b][/itex] or that [itex]u_n[/itex] are not all continuous.

You must know yourself what you mean by [itex]A[/itex], before asking what [itex]\neg A[/itex] is.

Last edited:
jostpuur said:
I would keep the assumption that the functions are of form [itex]u_n:[a,b]\to\mathbb{C}[/itex] untouched, and only let [itex]A[/itex] concern the continuity.

How does one know when to do this?

jostpuur said:
You must know yourself what you mean by [itex]A[/itex], before asking what [itex]\neg A[/itex] is.

My fear is what if I "choose" the wrong statement A like I did in post #3? How would I know what the "right" statement is?

There are no right or wrong choices for [itex]A[/itex]. What matters is that you know what you have chosen.

Once [itex]A[/itex] has been fixed, there can be right or wrong deductions, however.

(There was a movie where somebody said something like "there's no right or wrong decisions. What matters is that you dare to make a decision". It could be this is slightly off topic, though.)

1. What is uniform convergence?

Uniform convergence is a type of convergence that occurs when a sequence of functions converges to a single function, such that the convergence is uniform over the entire domain. This means that the rate of convergence is the same at all points in the domain, and the sequence of functions gets closer to the limit function at a consistent rate.

2. How is uniform convergence different from pointwise convergence?

Pointwise convergence is when a sequence of functions converges to a single function at each individual point in the domain, but the rate of convergence may vary at different points. This means that the sequence may approach the limit function at different rates at different points in the domain, while uniform convergence ensures a consistent rate of convergence at all points.

3. What is the importance of uniform convergence in integration?

Uniform convergence is important in integration because it guarantees that the limit function is integrable, even if the individual functions in the sequence may not be integrable. This allows us to interchange the order of integration and limits, making certain calculations and approximations easier.

4. Does uniform convergence imply continuity?

No, uniform convergence does not necessarily imply continuity. A sequence of discontinuous functions can converge uniformly to a continuous function. However, if the sequence of functions is uniformly continuous, then the limit function will also be continuous.

5. How can we prove uniform convergence?

There are various methods for proving uniform convergence, such as the Cauchy criterion, the Weierstrass M-test, and the Dini's theorem. These methods involve analyzing the rate of convergence and the behavior of the sequence of functions at different points in the domain. Additionally, we can also use the definition of uniform convergence to show that a sequence of functions converges uniformly.