A multivariable chain rule problem

In summary, the problem asks to find the derivative of a composed function F, given the differentiability of its components f and g. The solution involves using the chain rule and the definition of partial derivatives. The confusion lies in the notation, as there is no D_3F.
Hello all,

I am stuck on what seems like a rather simple problem:

Let [tex]f:\mathbb{R}^3 \rightarrow \mathbb{R}[/tex] and [tex]g:\mathbb{R}^2\rightarrow \mathbb{R}[/tex] be differentiable. Let [tex]F:\mathbb{R}^2 \rightarrow \mathbb{R}[/tex] be defined by the equation
[tex]F(x,y)=f(x,y,g(x,y)).[/tex]
Find [tex]DF[/tex] in terms of the partials of [tex]f[/tex] and [tex]g[/tex].

I would greatly appreciate any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
What work have you done on it so far? Where are you getting stuck?

(Also, if this is homework, we have a separate forum for that).

[tex] \begin{array}{ll}
DF(x,y) &= Df(x,y,g(x,y))\\
&= \begin{bmatrix} D_1f(x,y,g(x,y)) & D_2f(x,y,g(x,y)) & D_3f(x,y,g(x,y)) \end{bmatrix}
\end{array}[/tex]
I suspect that the chain rule should be used, in some way, to evaluate [tex]D_3f(x,y,g(x,y))[/tex].

Also, this isn't homework; I just started reading Analysis on Manifolds by James Munkres a few days ago.

501622731 said:
[tex] \begin{array}{ll}
DF(x,y) &= Df(x,y,g(x,y))\\
&= \begin{bmatrix} D_1f(x,y,g(x,y)) & D_2f(x,y,g(x,y)) & D_3f(x,y,g(x,y)) \end{bmatrix}
\end{array}[/tex]
I suspect that the chain rule should be used, in some way, to evaluate [tex]D_3f(x,y,g(x,y))[/tex].

I think I see where you are getting confused. Hint: There is no such thing as [tex]D_3F[/tex] :-o

Since F is a function of [tex]\mathbb{R}^2[/tex], [tex]D_1F = \frac{dF}{dx}[/tex], and [tex]D_2F = \frac{dF}{dy}[/tex]. Therefore, the gradient (DF) is going to be [tex](D_1F, D_2F)[/tex].

The notation is misleading. You probably want to write out the definition of the partial derivative, [tex]D_1 F = \frac{F(x+\epsilon, y) - F(x, y)}{\epsilon}[/tex], (and similarly for [tex]D_2 F[/tex]). Only then should you expand F out.

1. What is a multivariable chain rule problem?

A multivariable chain rule problem involves using the chain rule from calculus to find the derivative of a function with multiple variables. This rule is used when the function has multiple nested functions, and the derivative of the outermost function depends on the derivative of the inner functions.

2. How do you solve a multivariable chain rule problem?

To solve a multivariable chain rule problem, you must first identify the inner and outer functions. Then, take the derivative of the inner function, and substitute it into the derivative of the outer function. Finally, simplify the resulting expression to find the derivative of the entire function.

3. What are some real-world applications of multivariable chain rule problems?

Multivariable chain rule problems are commonly used in physics, engineering, and economics to model complex systems. They can also be used in biology and chemistry to understand the relationships between different variables in a system.

4. What are some tips for solving multivariable chain rule problems?

Some tips for solving multivariable chain rule problems include practicing with simpler chain rule problems first, identifying the inner and outer functions clearly, and carefully applying the chain rule formula. It can also be helpful to break down the problem into smaller steps and to double-check your work.

5. Can the multivariable chain rule be applied to functions with more than two variables?

Yes, the multivariable chain rule can be applied to functions with any number of variables. The process is the same as for functions with two variables, but the resulting derivative will have more terms. It is important to keep track of the different variables and their corresponding derivatives in these more complex problems.