Equilibrium of a Block on a Frictionless Table and Wall: An Analysis

In summary, the table and wall have frictionless surfaces, so the normal force between them is zero. If the table had a rough surface, then the normal force between the wall and the table would be in equilibrium, but if there is no static friction, what happens? The wall can't exert a normal force on the block because the block and the wall are in contact and in perfect harmony.
e(ho0n3
There is a table besides a wall (so that one edge of the table is touching the wall). Both wall and table have frictionless surfaces. Say I place a block on the table so that it's touching the wall.

Drawing a free-body diagram depicting the situation gives me three forces: the normal to the table and the weight of the block which cancel out, and the normal to the wall. If the block is in equilibrium then the normal force to the wall is zero. Somehow this is bothering me. Now if the table had a rough surface, then I could say that the normal to the wall and static friction cancel each other out. But if there is no static friction, what happens? Can anybody clarify on this please?

Physics news on Phys.org
well, if the wall is straight up and down and everything is at right angles, i see no reason for it to exert any type of a normal force on the block. thus you only have to consider the vertical forces, which cancel.

saw your message on your other thread, no prob.

DarkEternal said:
well, if the wall is straight up and down and everything is at right angles, i see no reason for it to exert any type of a normal force on the block. thus you only have to consider the vertical forces, which cancel.
So the wall is not exerting a force and the block and the block is not exerting a force on the wall? So the wall and block are in contact and in perfect harmony!?

Why would there be any force between the wall and table? I see no need for the wall to support the table. In fact, if the wall magically disappeared, what would happen? If nothing, then how can the wall even be a factor in the problem?

well the normal force stems from the compression of atoms on the surface by the body, because a force on the body transmits this compression to the surface. if there is no horizontal force to compress the wall surface, how can there be a reaction force from the wall?

So two bodies can be in contact with each other without exerting forces on each other? OK, I'll buy that.

What is meant by the term "equilibrium" in science?

Equilibrium refers to a state of balance or stability in a system. In science, it typically refers to a state where the forces or processes acting on a system are in balance, resulting in no net change or movement. This can apply to physical, chemical, or biological systems.

What factors can affect the equilibrium of a system?

There are several factors that can affect the equilibrium of a system, including temperature, pressure, concentration, and the presence of catalysts. Changes in these factors can shift the equilibrium towards one direction or another, resulting in a change in the system.

How is equilibrium represented in a chemical reaction?

In a chemical reaction, equilibrium is represented by a double arrow (⇌) between the reactants and products. This indicates that the reaction can proceed in both the forward and reverse directions, and at equilibrium, the rates of the forward and reverse reactions are equal.

Can equilibrium be disrupted?

Yes, equilibrium can be disrupted by changes in the factors that affect it. For example, increasing the temperature in a chemical reaction can disrupt the equilibrium by increasing the rate of the reaction in one direction, resulting in a shift towards the products.

How is equilibrium important in understanding natural systems?

Equilibrium is important in understanding natural systems because it helps to explain how these systems maintain stability and balance. It also allows scientists to predict how changes in the environment or other factors can affect these systems, and how they may respond to these changes.