Continuity and Domain of Function

In summary, the question is whether a function f defined only for rational values is continuous at x=1, considering that every open interval around x=1 contains irrational x values where f is not defined. The answer is yes, because for every positive epsilon there exists a delta > 0 such that |f(x) - f(1)| < epsilon for all x in the interval (1-delta, 1+delta) where x is in the domain of f, which in this case are only rational values. This may be different from considering f as a function from the reals to the reals, but it still satisfies the definition of continuity. However, working with rationals in calculus can be challenging due to their lack of
JG89
My question is best stated by using an example:

Suppose f is a function defined only for rational x, and for rational x f(x) = 1.

Say we want to prove that f is continuous at x = 1. Then we want to show that for every positive epsilon there exists a delta > 0 such that [tex] |f(x) - f(1)| < \epsilon [/tex] if [tex] |x-1| < \delta [/tex].

My question is, every open interval about x = 1 contains irrational x values where f isn't defined. If we consider only rational x, [tex] f(x) - f(1)| = 0 < \epsilon [/tex] and so it seems to be continuous. But what about the irrational values?

I'd say that my function f actually is indeed continuous, because [tex] |f(x) - f(1)| < \epsilon [/tex] must hold for all x in the interval [tex] (1-\delta, 1 + \delta) [/tex], where x is IN THE DOMAIN OF F. Since only rational values are in the domain of f, we consider only those x values.

Is this right?

Physics news on Phys.org
JG89 said:
My question is best stated by using an example:

Suppose f is a function defined only for rational x, and for rational x f(x) = 1.

Say we want to prove that f is continuous at x = 1. Then we want to show that for every positive epsilon there exists a delta > 0 such that [tex] |f(x) - f(1)| < \epsilon [/tex] if [tex] |x-1| < \delta [/tex].

My question is, every open interval about x = 1 contains irrational x values where f isn't defined. If we consider only rational x, [tex] f(x) - f(1)| = 0 < \epsilon [/tex] and so it seems to be continuous. But what about the irrational values?

I'd say that my function f actually is indeed continuous, because [tex] |f(x) - f(1)| < \epsilon [/tex] must hold for all x in the interval [tex] (1-\delta, 1 + \delta) [/tex], where x is IN THE DOMAIN OF F. Since only rational values are in the domain of f, we consider only those x values.

Is this right?

I don't know in this case... where in the definition of continuity does it say you have to look at real values for x? You don't test complex values of x when determining continuity, but nothing says you shouldn't.

They may be referring to this function not as a function from the reals to the reals only defined on the rational functions (these functions are generally discontinuous, for example f(x) = x-pi fails to be 0 anywhere), but instead as a function defined on the rationals not embedded in the reals. So you lose a lot of properties of continuous functions (like the intermediate value theorem) but on the bright side you can still characterize it as continuous.

A lot of it depends on the context of the question

Yes, you consider only values in the domain.
We can say f is continuous, or f is rational continuous.
That said rationals are a horrible field to do calculus on as they are not complete.
This is an artifact of all the garbage books with exercises like
What is the domain of f=log(1+x)
You tell me book it is your function.

1. What is continuity of a function?

Continuity of a function refers to the property of a function where there are no abrupt changes or breaks in the graph of the function. In other words, a function is continuous if it can be drawn without lifting the pen from the paper.

2. How is continuity of a function determined?

A function is considered continuous if it meets the three criteria: the function is defined at the point in question, the limit of the function exists at that point, and the limit of the function at that point is equal to the value of the function at that point.

3. What is the domain of a function?

The domain of a function is the set of all input values for which the function is defined. In other words, it is the set of all possible x-values that can be plugged into the function to generate a valid output.

4. How is the domain of a function determined?

The domain of a function can be determined by looking at the restrictions on the input values. For example, if the function contains a square root, the input value cannot be negative since you cannot take the square root of a negative number. Therefore, the domain of this function would be all real numbers greater than or equal to 0.

5. Why is it important to understand the continuity and domain of a function?

Understanding the continuity and domain of a function is crucial in order to analyze and graph the function accurately. It also helps in identifying any potential issues or restrictions with the function and helps in finding the appropriate range of input values to get a valid output. Additionally, it is important in many real-world applications such as physics, engineering, and economics.