Uncovering the Mysteries of Object Interaction

• Thread starter gerbilmore
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of objects interacting and the role of experimental facts in understanding this phenomenon. The speakers question whether there is some awareness or ability to interact inherent in all energy and matter, similar to how gravity is accepted as a fact without a complete understanding of its origins. The conclusion is that while some aspects of interactions can be explained, there are still unanswered "why" questions.
gerbilmore
Hi,

This has been bugging me for a while now.

WHY do objects interact? Suppose I kick a football with my foot. Obviously physics can explain how the ball interacts with the foot and then flies off through the air, but something appears to be missing.

Do we take it for granted that one object can 'experience' another? It seems to me as though there is some kind of 'awareness' there for want of a better term.

An interaction can only occur between two or more separate things right? This separation surely requires one object to be somehow 'aware' of another object for an interaction to take place.

Can someone please offer some thoughts? Thanks :-)

Physics news on Phys.org
We take it for granted or as an experimental fact. You cannot do without experimental facts. There are theoretical treatments that carry out "bookkeeping" in interactions but any good theory is phenomenological: it is based on experimental facts. In particular, theories use measurable quantities in their bookkeeping.

Thanks. So would it be fair to suggest that all energy/matter – indeed every quanta of energy – possesses some kind of 'ability to interact' that is taken as fact in physics, albeit for unexplained reasons - in much the same way as we take gravity as fact, but don't really know why it exists?

Yes, that's right. Some "why" question can be answered, but not all.

Thanks. Now I understand! :-)

1. Why do objects interact?

Objects interact with each other because of the fundamental laws of physics, specifically the laws of motion and the law of gravitation. These laws dictate how objects move and behave in relation to each other, leading to interactions.

2. What causes objects to interact?

Objects interact due to forces acting on them. These forces can be contact forces, such as pushing or pulling, or non-contact forces, such as gravity or electromagnetic forces.

3. How do objects interact with each other?

Objects interact through the exchange of energy and momentum. When two objects interact, they exert forces on each other, causing a change in their motion and transferring energy between them.

4. Can objects interact without touching?

Yes, objects can interact without touching through non-contact forces, such as gravitational and electromagnetic forces. These forces can act over a distance and cause objects to attract or repel each other.

5. What are some real-life examples of objects interacting?

Objects interact in many ways in our daily lives. Some common examples include a book falling to the ground due to gravity, a pendulum swinging back and forth due to the force of gravity, and magnets sticking to a fridge due to electromagnetic forces.