VASP versus ABINIT for parallel calculations

In summary, the speaker is asking for advice on using VASP for parallel calculations, as they are currently experiencing difficulties with ABINIT. They also ask for a comparison between the two for larger parallel jobs. The speaker has concerns about the communication between processors for these jobs.
olgranpappy
Homework Helper
Does anyone here have experience using VASP (especially VASP 5.2) for parallel calculations? I'm currently using ABINIT (abinip, and abinip with the "paral_kgb" variables) and although the price is right (free), it has been giving me some problems lately.

The input files for VASP and ABINIT seem to have a fairly similar structure, so I was thinking about buying VASP. Anyone have any advice in this regard? For example, how does ABINIT compare to VASP as far as large parallel jobs (~100--1000 processors) go?

Thanks,

Adam

Physics news on Phys.org
olgranpappy,

Did I read you right? 100-1000 processors? That's a lot of processors. Sure each processor can diagnolize a portion of the Hamiltonian matrix, but each processor needs to communicate with each other, which will bottleneck your calculation since there are so many processors. The most processors I've ever used was 8 processors for about 125-atoms.

I am familiar with both VASP and ABINIT and have experience using them for parallel calculations. In terms of performance, VASP is generally considered to be more efficient and faster for large parallel jobs compared to ABINIT. This is due to VASP's use of more advanced and optimized algorithms for parallel computing.

In terms of cost, VASP is a commercial software and may require purchasing a license, while ABINIT is open-source and is available for free. However, it is important to note that the cost of VASP may be worth it in terms of the time and resources saved by using a more efficient and reliable software for your calculations.

In terms of the input files, while there are some similarities between VASP and ABINIT, they do have different input formats and syntax. This may require some time to get familiar with if you are used to using ABINIT, but there are resources available to help with this transition.

Ultimately, the choice between VASP and ABINIT will depend on your specific needs and budget. If you are working on large parallel jobs and require high performance, then VASP may be a better option. However, if cost is a major factor and you are comfortable with the limitations of ABINIT, then it may still be a suitable choice. I recommend doing some research and possibly reaching out to other scientists who have used both software to get a better understanding of their experiences and make an informed decision.

1. What is the difference between VASP and ABINIT for parallel calculations?

VASP and ABINIT are two popular software packages used for performing materials simulations. Both are capable of handling parallel calculations, but they use different algorithms and approaches for parallelization. VASP uses a plane-wave basis set and a dense matrix diagonalization method, while ABINIT uses a real-space grid and a sparse matrix diagonalization method.

2. Which software is better for parallel calculations, VASP or ABINIT?

Both VASP and ABINIT are powerful software packages and have their own strengths and weaknesses. The choice between the two depends on the specific needs of the user and the type of calculations being performed. VASP may be more suitable for certain types of materials simulations, while ABINIT may be better for others.

3. Can VASP and ABINIT be used together for parallel calculations?

Yes, VASP and ABINIT can be used together for parallel calculations. In fact, some researchers use a combination of both software packages to take advantage of their individual strengths and achieve better results.

4. Are there any significant differences in terms of performance between VASP and ABINIT for parallel calculations?

The performance of VASP and ABINIT for parallel calculations depends on various factors such as the hardware used, the size and complexity of the system being simulated, and the specific settings and parameters chosen by the user. In general, both software packages are highly optimized for parallel calculations and can deliver efficient and accurate results.

5. How can I choose between VASP and ABINIT for my specific parallel calculation needs?

The choice between VASP and ABINIT depends on the specific requirements and goals of your research project. It is recommended to consult with experts in the field and try out both software packages to see which one better suits your needs. It is also important to consider factors such as user-friendliness, availability of support, and compatibility with other software tools.