What is the Antiderivative of Sqrt(1-x^2)?

• Thread starter Tiiba
  • Start date
In summary: When I investigated this more I found that Pi is an irrational number and as a result, cannot be the area under a function.In summary, the person tried to find an antiderivative of sqrt(1-x^2), integrate a unit semicircle (which should be pi/2), and thus prove that pi is algebraic. Since pi is not algebraic, they failed. They found that pi is an irrational number and as a result, cannot be the area under a function.
Tiiba
I tried to find an antiderivative of sqrt(1-x^2), integrate a unit semicircle (which should be pi/2), and thus prove that pi is algebraic. Since pi is not algebraic, I failed miserably.

But that equation is certainly integrable from -1 to 1. So what is its antiderivative? I tried to find it on the web, but I couldn't.

*Hits the sack*

Take this, you stupid sack!

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex] \int (1-x^2)^{1/2} = 1/2 ( x(1-x^2)^{1/2} + \arcsin x) [/tex]

I tried to find an antiderivative of sqrt(1-x^2), integrate a unit semicircle (which should be pi/2), and thus prove that pi is algebraic. Since pi is not algebraic, I failed miserably.

I'm not sure I follow, how does the integral of sqrt(1 - x^2) say anything about the transcendence of pi?

It doesn't. Why did you think it does?

To integrate (1-x2)1/2, let x= sin(θ) so that dx= cos(θ) and (1-x2)1/2 becomes cos(θ). Then
[itex] \int (1-x^2)^{1/2} = \int cos^2(/theta)d\theta [/itex]
But [itex]cos^2(\theta)= \frac{1}{2}(1+cos(2\theta))[/itex] so the integral becomes
[itex]\frac{1}{2}\int (1+ cos(2\theta))d\theta= \frac{1}{2}\theta+ \frac{1}{4}sin(2\theta)+ C[/itex]. If you evaluate that between 0 and π, the "sin" part is 0 at both ends so you get (1/2)π

That still tells you nothing about whether pi is algebraic or transcendental.

It doesn't. Why did you think it does?

:confused: I never claimed or believed the integral said anything about the transcendence of pi, I was looking for the reason why Tiiba thought it did.

If I could find an antiderivative of pi that would have only normal operations in it, roots, exponents, addition, all the nice things I learned in algebra, and pi was a difference of two such formulas, then pi, being just twice that number, would be agebraic, right?

But it just had to contain some arcsin thing in it.

Repent, arcsinner!

Last edited:
to integrate sqrt(1-x^2) just substitute x = sin(u), and dx = cos(u)du

Tiiba said:
If I could find an antiderivative of pi that would have only normal operations in it, roots, exponents, addition, all the nice things I learned in algebra, and pi was a difference of two such formulas, then pi, being just twice that number, would be agebraic, right?

But it just had to contain some arcsin thing in it.

Repent, arcsinner!
Unfortunately you'll just end up getting inverse trigonometric functions when you try things like that and Pi is involved in the answer.

During one of my exams quite recently it amused me how the area under the reciprocal of a quadratic equation was a multiple of Pi.

1. What is the purpose of asking "So what is it, in that case?"

Asking "So what is it, in that case?" is often used to clarify or gain further understanding about a specific situation or topic.

2. Can you provide an example of when "So what is it, in that case?" would be used?

For example, if a scientist is presenting their research findings and a colleague asks "So what is it, in that case?", it could mean they are seeking more details about a particular aspect of the research or are trying to understand the implications of the findings.

3. Is there a difference between asking "So what is it, in that case?" and "What is it, then?"

Yes, there is a subtle difference. "So what is it, in that case?" implies that there is a specific context or scenario being referred to, while "What is it, then?" is a more general question without any specific context.

4. When is it appropriate to use the phrase "in that case" in a scientific discussion?

"In that case" can be used when discussing a specific scenario or situation in relation to a larger topic or concept. It can also be used to provide a counterpoint or alternative perspective to the discussion.

5. How can one respond effectively to "So what is it, in that case?"

The best way to respond is to provide a clear and concise answer that addresses the specific context or question being asked. It is also helpful to provide any relevant evidence or supporting information to back up your answer.