Thermodynamics and Statistical Thermodynamics References

In summary: I don't think I've read it though.In summary, an Applied Physics student recommends using Zemansky & Dittman as a textbook, and Thermal Physics by Kittel and Kroemer as a good reference.
diosak
Hi,
i'm an Applied Physics student (2nd year).
Could you please tell me a book to study thermodynamics from?
I've studied from Thermodynamics, Kinetic Theory, and Statistical Thermodynamics by Sears - Salinger and it is pretty good.
Has anyone "tested" :
1) An Introduction to Thermal Physics by Daniel V. Schroeder
2) Heat and Thermodynamics by Mark W. Zemansky - Richard H. Dittman
3) Thermodynamics and an Introduction to Thermostatistics by Herbert B. Callen
4) Thermodynamics by Enrico Fermi ?

If someone has tried another textbook and they think it was really helpfull, please let me know.
Thanks, in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org

I used An Introduction to Thermal Physics by Daniel V. Schroeder last semester. It required a lot of derivation as part of the questions. If you want a book with more step-by-step help and sample problems worked out within the text, I'd look elsewhere. I have not tried any others to give you a better suggestion, however.

anyone some help? please??

Fermi's book is excellent. I also like Tolman's "principles of statistical mechanics".

I own a copy of Zemansky & Dittmar (1981), which I use as a (fairly good) reference. I tried to read Callen: I would never recommand that book to anybody because it assumes that enthalpy can be 'created' from internal energy by applying a Legendre Transform with respect to volume: It is Science Fiction.
I do like Cengel (Introduction to thermodynamics and heat transfer), so may be Cengel & Boles (2006) is a good start.

I used Zemansky & Dittman for undergrad, since Dittman was on the faculty where I did my undergrad. It was fine. I really did not need anything outside of it for an undergrad physics Thermo class. It was comprehensive enough for undergrad, I felt.

The best book I've every seen is Thermal Physics by Kittel and Kroemer. Clear, readable, and quite interesting.

twofish-quant said:
The best book I've ever seen is Thermal Physics by Kittel and Kroemer. Clear, readable, and quite interesting.

There is a thread on this subject:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=149365&referrerid=219693

It suggests that Zemansky & Dittman might be a better choice then Kittel & Kroemer.
This is also suggested by the number of edtions (re-)printed.

Fermi's book is too simple to be suitable as a textbook but its like thermodynamics in 160 pages with most lucid explanation. Its an easy read, very small in size and teaches you most pure thermo concepts very clearly. No matter what textbook you go with, read fermi anyways.

As texts I recommend Zemansky or "Equilibrium Thermodynamics" by C.J Adkins. Adkins book is just awesome as a text.

Concepts in Thermal Physics by Blundell seems okay.

1. What is the difference between thermodynamics and statistical thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is a branch of physics that deals with the relationships between heat, energy, and work. It focuses on macroscopic systems and their overall properties and behaviors. Statistical thermodynamics, on the other hand, is a branch of physics that uses statistical methods to study the behavior of a large number of particles in a system. It provides a microscopic understanding of thermodynamic properties.

2. What is the first law of thermodynamics?

The first law of thermodynamics, also known as the law of conservation of energy, states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only converted from one form to another. This means that the total energy of a closed system remains constant, and any change in the system's internal energy must be accounted for by energy transfer in the form of heat or work.

3. What is entropy in thermodynamics?

Entropy is a measure of the disorder or randomness of a system. In thermodynamics, it is often described as the degree of randomness or uncertainty in a system's microscopic configuration. The second law of thermodynamics states that the total entropy of an isolated system can never decrease over time. This means that systems tend to become more disordered and have higher entropy over time.

4. What is the difference between reversible and irreversible processes in thermodynamics?

A reversible process is one that can be reversed by an infinitesimal change in a variable, such as temperature or pressure. In a reversible process, the system and its surroundings can be returned to their original state with no net change in entropy. In contrast, an irreversible process is one that cannot be reversed, and the total entropy of the system and its surroundings increases during the process.

5. How does statistical thermodynamics explain the behavior of gases?

Statistical thermodynamics explains the behavior of gases by using statistical methods to analyze the motions and interactions of individual molecules. It can predict macroscopic properties of gases, such as pressure, volume, and temperature, by considering the average behavior of a large number of molecules. This approach is more accurate than classical thermodynamics, which assumes that gases consist of a continuous medium and does not take into account the individual molecules.