Heat transfer inside a cylinder with flowing water

In summary, the conversation discussed the calculation of a situation where there is a constant water flow through an infinitely thin cylinder with no heat source at the bottom. The conversation also explored the scenario where a heat source is added to the cylinder and the resulting rise in temperature and time it takes to reach equilibrium. It was suggested that a numerical analysis may be needed to calculate the temperature rise accurately.
peet_dk
Hello

Please see the attached illustration, hope it gives a idea of what is going on. If I do not include radiation and the cylinder is infinite thin, how can I calculate this situation:

(1) The water flow is constant inlet=outlet and steady state flow.
(2) First there is not a heat source in the bottom of the closed cylinder.
(3) The heat source (Q3=W, T3=C) begin the heat the cylinder, with a constant heat rate. If it makes it easier it can be calculated like the heat source is on every cylinder surfaces..

T2 will rise slowly and reach a max. over some time. How long time will it take? I looked for a lumped capacity method equation in my heat transfer book, but could not find one.. Hope you can help me..

And what if the flow is through a long pipe with inlet and outlet?

Attachments

• Drawing1-Model.jpg
    Drawing1-Model.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 535
Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi peet,
If I understand you right, you're saying the pipe is infinitely thin, so it has no thermal mass. If that's the case, then the heat flux going into the water is the same at all points along the pipe starting at time t=0. And if that's the case, then to answer your question:
T2 will rise slowly and reach a max. over some time. How long time will it take?
T2 will come to equilibrium as soon as the water coming in at the inlet of the pipe reaches the outlet. That assumes negligable mixing of water in the axial direction of flow, which I think is a reasonable assumption.

If I were to try and calculate the temperature rise from the information you gave, I'd create a program and do a numerical analysis on it since there are a lot of variables that have to change as the water flows down the pipe.

1. What is heat transfer?

Heat transfer is the process of thermal energy being transferred from one object or substance to another. This can occur through conduction, convection, or radiation.

2. How does heat transfer occur inside a cylinder with flowing water?

In a cylinder with flowing water, heat transfer occurs through convection. The water acts as a medium, carrying heat from one end of the cylinder to the other.

3. What factors affect heat transfer inside a cylinder with flowing water?

The rate of heat transfer inside a cylinder with flowing water is affected by several factors, including the temperature difference between the water and the cylinder, the flow rate of the water, and the thermal conductivity of the materials involved.

4. How does the flow rate of water affect heat transfer inside a cylinder?

The faster the water flows, the higher the rate of heat transfer inside the cylinder. This is because faster-moving water can carry more heat and distribute it more evenly throughout the cylinder.

5. Can heat transfer inside a cylinder with flowing water be controlled?

Yes, heat transfer can be controlled through various methods such as insulation to reduce heat loss, adjusting the flow rate of the water, or changing the temperature of the water. These methods can help regulate the temperature inside the cylinder and improve the efficiency of heat transfer.