Complex Thermo-Dynamic System of Equations

In summary, the protagonist is trying to calculate the average temperature of a liquid in a system after the system is in motion. He is using thermodynamics to determine the variables involved.
FriedSushi87
I took AP Physics (failed) back in high-school, and I've retained most of the information, but we didn't delve too far into thermo-dynamics, instead focusing mostly on resistance, acceleration, velocity, friction, ect...

I am trying to calculate a few things to determine the average temperature of a liquid in a system after the system is in motion...

What I'm doing is trying to calculate and work this system out before I build it. I'm going to water-cool my PC. I am going to put the reservoir inside of a mini-fridge, and the radiator(s) in front of an Air Conditioning unit. Everything connected together by tubes to create a closed system loop.

[PLAIN]http://www.zombiefire.com/ocn/crazyidea.png

Since I'm not that knowledgeable about thermodynamics I did a bit of research before I started and began to determine my variables.

1) BTU of mini-fridge
2) Heat Given off by CPU
3) BTU of A/C unit.
4) Initial temperature of water
5) Rate of dissipation of heat from a Radiator. (cooled by A/C). Obviously you won't have 100% efficiency and have all 5000 BTU of the A/C into the Radiator...
6) Amount of liquid in the loop. (resevoir + tubing + Radiator)
7) Ambient air temperature. (outside the system)
8) Speed of fluid pumped through system (effecting heat absorption)
9) Friction of fluid through system (increasing heat)
10) Thermal capacity of water.

I'm not sure if I've forgotten any variables...

I then tried to teach myself some basic thermo-dynamics and get some of the variables from around the internet:
A/C 5200 BTU = (~~1500 Watts)
AMD Phenom II x4 965 CPU ~~ 125 Watts (more if overclocked?)
Mini-Fridge = 330 BTU?

A large mini fridge (3.2 cu ft) has a surface area of around 1.85 meters squared. Its walls are made of 1" styrofoam, with a metal or plastic casing. Assuming there is free convection on all surfaces of the fridge, and the fridge is at 4 degrees C in a 22 degree C room, the heat transfer out of the fridge is around 20 watts. (this value is probably a little high, I haven't counted a lot of the smaller thermal resistances)

1 ton of refrigeration is the rate of heat removal required to freeze a short ton (i.e., 2000 pounds) of water at 32 °F in 24 hours. Based on the heat of fusion for water being 144 Btu per pound, 1 ton of refrigeration = 12,000 Btu/h = 12,660 kJ/h = 3.517 kW++

Now for this system to work correctly, the temp. of the fluid in the system has to be at or below a certain temperature (the Fridge isn't made to be on 100% of the time, but instead is meant to cycle on and off. I don't want to burn out the fridge).

I'm not really sure where to go from here. If anyone could get me started, give me some pointers and point me towards the right direction?

Last edited by a moderator:
Science news on Phys.org
Ha=(Hw)-(Hcpu)+(Er * Ha)+(Hf)

Ha=Average Heat
Hw=Heat of Water (initial)
Hcpu=Heat of CPU/hr
Er=Heat of AC>Radiator system
Ha=Heat of AC/hr
Hf=Heat of Fridge/hr

?

Is there no-one here who can help me?

1. What is a complex thermo-dynamic system of equations?

A complex thermo-dynamic system of equations is a set of mathematical equations that describe the behavior of a system composed of multiple interacting components, such as heat, work, and energy. These equations are used to study the thermodynamic properties and processes of a system and can be used to make predictions about its behavior.

2. How are complex thermo-dynamic systems of equations used in science?

Complex thermo-dynamic systems of equations are used in various fields of science, such as physics, chemistry, and engineering, to study and analyze the behavior of complex systems. They are often used in thermodynamics to understand the transfer of heat and energy within a system, and in the design and optimization of energy systems.

3. What are some examples of complex thermo-dynamic systems?

Some examples of complex thermo-dynamic systems include power plants, refrigeration systems, and engines. These systems involve the transfer of heat and energy and can be described by a set of thermo-dynamic equations.

4. How do you solve a complex thermo-dynamic system of equations?

Solving a complex thermo-dynamic system of equations involves using mathematical techniques such as differential equations, numerical methods, and computer simulations. These methods help to find solutions and make predictions about the behavior of the system.

5. What are the applications of complex thermo-dynamic systems?

Complex thermo-dynamic systems have various applications in science, engineering, and technology. They are used to design and optimize energy systems, study the behavior of materials and chemical compounds, and understand the processes of heat transfer and energy conversion. They are also used in the development of new technologies, such as renewable energy sources and energy-efficient systems.