Power screw horizontal applicaion FBD

In summary: When it is moving then "P" will have to provide both the Torque and the Acceleration force. How would you draw that resultant force?
M.E. Tom
Hello,

I have been trying to set up a free body diagram for a power screw in a horizontal application.
Every example I find they are using a power screw to lift or lower a load not move it left to right.

I have attached the example from the textbook, along with my work so far.

Looking at the textbook example why do they break the Normal force into components when summing forces? In most physics textbooks the Normal force is left intact and other forces, such at weight, are broken down.

Second, on the work2.pdf when I am summing forces for the left traverse condition, I get the Force of friction in the x equal to the negative x component of the normal force. Is this right?

Third, should there be a thrust force causing the nut to move horizontally?

Attachments

• Textbook Ballscrew scan.pdf
    624.1 KB · Views: 498
  • work p1.pdf
    186 KB · Views: 445
  • work p2.pdf
    182.8 KB · Views: 402
Engineering news on Phys.org
M.E. Tom said:
Looking at the textbook example why do they break the Normal force into components when summing forces? In most physics textbooks the Normal force is left intact and other forces, such at weight, are broken down.

Second, on the work2.pdf when I am summing forces for the left traverse condition, I get the Force of friction in the x equal to the negative x component of the normal force. Is this right?

Both methods are valid. It doesn't matter where your axis is located as long as you keep using it throughout the problem. If weight was the only force acting in that example then you would need to use less trig by placing one axis along the inclined plane. That way you wouldn't need to break the normal and friction forces into components.

Your answer is right, but it only works when the screw is not moving. If it was moving you would need set F=ma instead of F=0. Remember that the coefficient of friction is different when it is moving than when it is static.

Skrambles said:
Both methods are valid. It doesn't matter where your axis is located as long as you keep using it throughout the problem. If weight was the only force acting in that example then you would need to use less trig by placing one axis along the inclined plane. That way you wouldn't need to break the normal and friction forces into components.

That is what I thought.

Your answer is right, but it only works when the screw is not moving. If it was moving you would need set F=ma instead of F=0. Remember that the coefficient of friction is different when it is moving than when it is static.

Ok, this makes perfect sense. I drew the FBD not thinking about it moving and then confused myself when summing forces.

When it is moving then "P" will have to provide both the Torque and the Acceleration force. How would you draw that resultant force?

1. What is a power screw horizontal application FBD?

A power screw horizontal application FBD is a type of mechanical device that uses a screw mechanism to convert rotational motion into linear motion. It is commonly used in machinery and equipment to apply force or hold objects in place.

2. How does a power screw horizontal application FBD work?

A power screw horizontal application FBD works by rotating the screw, which moves along a fixed thread. This motion translates into linear movement of the screw, allowing it to either apply or resist force. The size and pitch of the screw determine the amount of force that can be generated.

3. What are the components of a power screw horizontal application FBD?

The main components of a power screw horizontal application FBD include the screw, nut, thrust bearing, and support bearings. The screw is the threaded rod that rotates to produce linear motion, the nut is the component that moves along the screw, the thrust bearing supports the axial load, and the support bearings provide stability.

4. What are the advantages of using a power screw horizontal application FBD?

One of the main advantages of using a power screw horizontal application FBD is its ability to generate a large amount of force with a relatively small input torque. It also has a simple and compact design, making it easy to install and maintain. Additionally, it can provide accurate and controlled movement, making it useful in precision applications.

5. What are some common applications of a power screw horizontal application FBD?

A power screw horizontal application FBD is commonly used in machinery and equipment such as presses, jacks, and clamps. It can also be found in industrial automation systems, medical devices, and aerospace equipment. It is particularly useful in applications that require precise and controlled linear motion or the application of a large amount of force.