Question about time limits of time-dependent perturbation theory

In summary, there is a discrepancy in the use of integration limits for calculating transition amplitudes in time-dependent perturbation theory. Some sources use 0 to t while others use -infinity to t, resulting in different results. It is recommended to use only 0 to t for the time that the perturbed field is switched on, as using an infinite time limit may not accurately reflect the true transition amplitude.
ani4physics
I have been using time-dependent perturbation theory for quite a while. Yet, one thing is still not clear to me. I have seen in many books and papers that when they calculate the transition amplitudes, they integrate from 0 to t. While in many other papers and books, the limit is taken to be - infinity to t. Those two limits give completely different results for transition amplitudes and transition probabilities. So which one to use?

Physics news on Phys.org
I would expect only 0 to t for the time that the perturbed field is switched on.

How can you use a transition amplitude based on an infinite amount of time being exposed to the field?

1. What is time-dependent perturbation theory?

Time-dependent perturbation theory is a method used in quantum mechanics to study the behavior of a system under the influence of a time-dependent external perturbation. It allows us to calculate the probability of transitions between different energy levels of a quantum system.

2. What are the assumptions of time-dependent perturbation theory?

The main assumptions of time-dependent perturbation theory are that the perturbation is small compared to the unperturbed system and that the perturbation varies smoothly with time.

3. What is the time limit in time-dependent perturbation theory?

The time limit in time-dependent perturbation theory refers to the length of time for which the perturbation is applied to the system. This time limit is typically assumed to be finite, but in some cases, it can also be extended to an infinite time limit.

4. How is time-dependent perturbation theory used in practice?

Time-dependent perturbation theory is used in many areas of physics, such as atomic and molecular physics, nuclear physics, and condensed matter physics. It is often used to study the dynamics of quantum systems and to calculate transition probabilities between energy levels.

5. What are the limitations of time-dependent perturbation theory?

Time-dependent perturbation theory is limited to systems with small perturbations and smooth time variations. It also assumes that the initial state of the system is known and that the perturbation is applied for a finite amount of time. In some cases, it may not accurately describe the behavior of a system, and more advanced methods may be needed.