Finding the resultant displacement vector.

In summary, Jodie walked 14 meters east, 42 meters south, 32 meters west, 13 meters south, and 9 meters east to get from her classroom to the lab without going through the crowded rotunda. To represent her initial displacement vectors and the resultant displacement vector, a scale diagram can be drawn. The distance Jodie walked to the lab can be found by calculating the resultant of all her displacement vectors. The position of the lab with respect to the classroom can be determined by finding the resultant of the initial displacement vectors. To solve this problem, it is suggested to go step-by-step and find the resultant of each set of vectors.
venomnert

Homework Statement

In order to get from her classroom too the lab without going through the crowded rotunda, Jodie walks 14m (E), 42m(S), 32m(W), 13m(S), and 9m(E). Draw a scale diagram to represent all the initial displacement vector and the resultant displacement vector in Jodie's walk to the lab. What distance did Jodie walk in getting to the lab? What is the position of the lab with respect to the classroom?

Homework Equations

I don't know how to connect the tail and the head and how to calculate the resultant.

The Attempt at a Solution

Hi guys, this my first post in PF and i am new to physics and i need all the help i could get so please guys help me with my homework thanks. By the way i am taking grade eleven physics.

Physics news on Phys.org
Try going step-by-step. You have 5 vectors (call them V1, V2, V3, V4 & V5). Find the resultant of V1 and V2, call it V6. Now find the resultant between V3 and V6. etc.

What is meant by resultant displacement vector?

The resultant displacement vector is a mathematical representation of the net displacement of an object or particle. It takes into account both the magnitude and direction of individual displacements to determine the overall displacement of the object.

How is the resultant displacement vector calculated?

The resultant displacement vector is calculated by adding together all individual displacement vectors using vector addition techniques. This involves breaking down the vectors into their x and y components and then adding each component separately to find the resultant x and y components, which can then be combined to find the magnitude and direction of the resultant vector.

What is the difference between displacement and distance?

Displacement refers to the overall change in position of an object, while distance refers to the total amount of ground covered by the object. Displacement takes into account the direction of movement, while distance does not.

Can the resultant displacement vector ever be zero?

Yes, the resultant displacement vector can be zero if the individual displacement vectors cancel each other out. This can happen if the object moves in opposite directions with equal magnitudes, or if the object moves in a closed loop and ends up back at its original position.

How is the direction of the resultant displacement vector determined?

The direction of the resultant displacement vector is determined by the angle formed between the resultant vector and a reference axis. This angle can be calculated using trigonometric functions, such as tangent or sine, and can also be determined graphically by drawing a scale diagram.