Are there examples where gravity works indendent of nuclear forces ?

In summary, according to these articles, the idea that gravity is some kind of emergent property of nuclear and electric forces is still being explored.
rogerharris
Yes i am aware this may appear a stupid question, but I am just starting science refresher course and was not able to find an answer so far by googling.

So far we are being taught the classical view of gravity. Its a property of mass... and that appears to be it. There is no mechanism, particles etc so i was wondering if anybody had tested if gravity is at play where there is no general nuclear or electromagnetic force involved.

i.e. How do we actually know gravity is not a nuclear force is my question ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Curl said:
Is this good enough for you?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravity_wave

This doesn't help me know if gravity is not the mechanical result of nuclear forces

rogerharris said:
This doesn't help me know if gravity is not the mechanical result of nuclear forces
We don't know how gravity works at very large distances (ie. at inter-galactic distances on the order of millions of light years). We simply cannot measure it. We cannot measure gravity at the distance of a nuclear radius. The coulomb force is over 10^40 times stronger than gravity. And the nuclear force is hundred times stronger than that.

We do not understand what causes any of the forces: nuclear, electric, gravity. So to say that two forces (nuclear and gravity) that we do not understand at all cannot be related may seem rather pretentious. All we can say is that our models for understanding gravity and nuclear forces do not show any relationship between the two forces.

As far as I am aware, there is no evidence that rules out a possible relationship between gravity and nuclear force. There just isn't any evidence that they are related, other than: the fact that the two forces are only attractive (there is some suggestion that the nuclear force is repulsive at distances much smaller than a proton diameter, but we don't know how gravity operates on that scale); the fact that the magnitudes of both forces depend on the quantity of matter (number of protons/neutrons) involved as well as the distances of separation; and the fact that we don't understand what causes either force.

AM

Andrew Mason said:
We don't know how gravity works at very large distances (ie. at inter-galactic distances on the order of millions of light years). We simply cannot measure it. We cannot measure gravity at the distance of a nuclear radius. The coulomb force is over 10^40 times stronger than gravity. And the nuclear force is hundred times stronger than that.

We do not understand what causes any of the forces: nuclear, electric, gravity. So to say that two forces (nuclear and gravity) that we do not understand at all cannot be related may seem rather pretentious. All we can say is that our models for understanding gravity and nuclear forces do not show any relationship between the two forces.

As far as I am aware, there is no evidence that rules out a possible relationship between gravity and nuclear force. There just isn't any evidence that they are related, other than: the fact that the two forces are only attractive (there is some suggestion that the nuclear force is repulsive at distances much smaller than a proton diameter, but we don't know how gravity operates on that scale); the fact that the magnitudes of both forces depend on the quantity of matter (number of protons/neutrons) involved as well as the distances of separation; and the fact that we don't understand what causes either force.

AM

Thanks Andrew. I guess that sums it up. There is macro and microscopic aspects we haven't figured. or maybe gravity could be some kind of emergent property of several forces together.

i.e. i found these newer theories.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Entropic_gravity

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=splitting-time-from-space

1. How does gravity work independently of nuclear forces?

Gravity is a fundamental force of nature that acts between two objects with mass. It is independent of nuclear forces because it is caused by the curvature of space-time, rather than the interactions between particles at the atomic level.

2. Are there any known examples where gravity works independently of nuclear forces?

Yes, there are several examples where gravity acts independently of nuclear forces. One example is the orbit of planets around the sun, where gravity is the dominant force keeping the planets in their orbits.

3. Can gravity act without the presence of nuclear forces?

Yes, gravity can act without the presence of nuclear forces. In fact, gravity is the only force that acts between objects with mass, regardless of the presence of nuclear forces.

4. How do scientists study the effects of gravity working independently of nuclear forces?

Scientists study the effects of gravity working independently of nuclear forces through experiments and observations. This can include studying the orbits of celestial bodies, testing theories of gravity, and observing the behavior of objects in free-fall.

5. Is our understanding of gravity independent from nuclear forces complete?

No, our understanding of gravity working independently of nuclear forces is not complete. While we have a good understanding of how gravity behaves on a macroscopic scale, there are still many unanswered questions about its interactions with other fundamental forces, such as nuclear forces.