Nuclear Engineering as a viable profession?

In summary, nuclear engineering is a great career choice that will only grow in the next decade. You don't need a lot of education to start off, and the job market is good. You will spend most of your time inside a reactor, but may also be placed elsewhere. You should research which university has the best program for you.
onlypolar
Hello everyone,

I'm brand new to the forums, though I've been going through the forums daily for months. I'm a high school junior at present, which means that the all-too familiar career discussions come up often. I'm torn between EE, pre med, and nuclear engineering. Truth be told, I very much inclined towards nuclear engineering, but my parents are dead against that. I'm just wondering if you guys could give me some information regarding that field. It'd be wonderful if anyone can help. Here are some of the questions that I have:
1) How many years of education do I need to start off from a respectable post?
2) How is the job market? How long will it take for me to find a job?
3) How is the job like?
4) Do you spend the entire time inside a reactor, or will you be placed elsewhere, taking short trips to the reactors?
5) Any good universities? (anywhere in Texas would be very ideal)

Thank you so much!

Physics news on Phys.org
I can only answer like half of your questions:

-yes there will be plenty of jobs as 1/3 of current nuclear engineers are retiring in a decade and Obama may or may not also do something to increase jobs
-Texas A&M has a great program
-I believe that nuclear engineers will usually not be at the reactor itself (but don't quote me on it)

Nuclear Energy is the best deal for future so it's going to grow. I believe if you go for it you won't be disappointed at all. Wind, solar etc may have their charms but they are not a complete package like nuclear

Unless people go back to living in caves or are happy with wind turbines being literally everywhere, nuclear energy is the future. So I think that nuclear engineering is probably quite a viable profession.

When people's lights start going off, that might spur governments into investment.

If your parents are dead against nuclear engineering because of moral reasons, I would avoid going into it unless you can convince them to change their views on it. Cutting ties with your family is not a good thing to do. I'm not accusing you of rebelling or anything, but I would try and get your parents to support you before trying to do nuclear engineering. Keep doing research like you seem to be doing, get clear evidence to present to them, and I'm sure you'll win them over; just try not to fight with them over it. You definitely don't want a sour relationship with your parents as you go into adulthood.

1. What is nuclear engineering?

Nuclear engineering is a field of engineering that deals with the application of nuclear energy, radiation, and nuclear processes. It involves the design, development, and maintenance of systems and processes that use nuclear materials for various purposes, such as energy production, medical treatments, and industrial applications.

2. Is nuclear engineering a viable profession?

Yes, nuclear engineering is a highly viable profession with a growing demand for skilled professionals in various industries. The nuclear energy sector alone employs thousands of nuclear engineers, and there are also opportunities in fields such as nuclear medicine, nuclear waste management, and nuclear research.

3. What education and skills are required for a career in nuclear engineering?

To become a nuclear engineer, you typically need a bachelor's degree in nuclear engineering or a related field such as mechanical or electrical engineering. A strong background in math, physics, and chemistry is also essential. In addition, nuclear engineers need to have critical thinking skills, problem-solving abilities, and strong attention to detail.

4. What are the job prospects for nuclear engineers?

The job prospects for nuclear engineers are expected to be favorable in the coming years, with a projected job growth of 4% from 2019 to 2029. The demand for nuclear engineers is driven by the growth of the nuclear energy sector and the need for professionals to maintain and upgrade existing nuclear facilities.

5. Are there any safety concerns with a career in nuclear engineering?

Like any profession, there are potential safety concerns with a career in nuclear engineering. However, nuclear engineers undergo extensive training and follow strict safety protocols to ensure the safe handling and use of nuclear materials. The nuclear industry also has strict regulations and safety measures in place to protect workers and the general public from any potential risks.